Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Searing Tri-tip, cooking on a Pit Barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searing Tri-tip, cooking on a Pit Barrel

I have a AOG natural gas grill and a Pit Barrel. The predicted wind on Friday will make the AOC unreliable, so I'm thinking to sear on it using the salamander along with the 3 burners for the sear, already having the PBC up to heat and putting the t-tip on the grate or grill grates for the cook. Any thoughts or suggestions??

Oh, charcoal available Kingsford, B&B both lump & briquets, Royal Oak lump.

Comment

I love tri tip and I always cook it im my PBC. Hang it til it hits around 125⁰F and then pull it and let it rest for a couple of minutes uncovered while I get the other food ready, then slice and serve

Comment

• 52Merc
        52Merc commented
        Editing a comment
        Done that in the past, like Noah recommends, but too rare for us. I've been using 130 and letting it rest no matter what I've cooked it on. Do you sear at all?

Frankly, I never felt the need to sear PBC tri-tip … just the urge to eat it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8701977C-BCB6-4A51-AEDC-6F7332EF0FF4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.28 MB ID:	1147461
      Click image for larger version  Name:	0E5BCB4E-62DE-4A5C-B199-1E59C11978C4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.86 MB ID:	1147459
      Last edited by MBMorgan; December 23, 2021, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• 52Merc
        52Merc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I've done the reverse-sear and no sear when using the PBC.

• rototiller78
        rototiller78 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, I totally agree w/@MBMorgan, eat the Tri tip right off the PBC.

• rototiller78
        rototiller78 commented
        Editing a comment
        That Tri tip looks awesome!

After all the helpful comments, I used my AOG and Grill Grates and it came out fantastic! I'm trying to get the pictures uploaded from my phone.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        PBC, PBC, PBC!

I used to always sear tri-tip on the gasser or the griddle after pulling it out of the PBC. Lately I haven't bothered with a final sear. I really don't notice that much difference after slicing it up. There's only a bit of crust on each slice, so I'm questioning whether it's worth the effort to fire up (and clean up) another cooker.

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah. It's the fun of grilling. I'll use two cookers to get want I want. Clean up is not that bad. Always fun playing around with equipment.

I reverse sear a tri tip.
      smoke first to 110 on the PBC.
      Sear on the gasser to 125. Normally get 5-10 degrees of carry over.

Now that I have an SnS kettle, I can do it on one cooker.
      But the pbc / gasser is a great combo
      ​​​​​
      Last edited by BFlynn; December 26, 2021, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here