Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! "Prime Rib" Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! "Prime Rib" Advice

So basically, I just ruined Christmas. Well, not really but that's how I feel.

The advice I need is, it's not a prime rib anymore. I don't know what got into me, but at one point I decided to start removing the fat vein in the middle of the roast, and then it just all fell apart. One of my guests is immune compromised so I didn't feel safe rolling it all back up because I figured I had handled the surfaces and wouldn't feel comfortable only cooking it to 130 internal. Ugh. It all got away from me so fast!

So here's what I have now, Left to right I have a 20oz ribeye cap steak, a 32oz eye of ribeye roast, and a 10oz cylinder of whatever cut that is. I have 6 guests coming, all family so it's relatively low pressure, but who wants to screw up Christmas. What do you think I should do. I think my options are:

1) Cook the eye of ribeye like roast, indirect at 225, finish off with a sear over high heat
    2) Cook the ribeye cap hot and fast either in a pan or over high heat
    3) Cook the unidentified cylinder hot and fast as well, at the same time as the ribeye cap.

Or I could steak it all out, freeze it, and go buy a different roast and start all over. But that seems like a waste
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GoDuke; December 22, 2021, 07:13 PM.

OK, need to make lemonade I guess. Totally agree on what to do with the ribeye roast. For the others, sous vide que comes to mind, if you have a sous vide gadget. Lots of flexibility there, you can have the other cuts at your desired temp ready to sear and time it for when you know your roast will be ready.

If no sous vide, I think I still like something like a reverse sear for the Cylinder of Whatever. Looks like it would make some nice medallions. And I got nothin' for the cap other than SV.

Good luck!!

Comment

Thanks DaveD! I do have a sous vide circulator, so I could definitely do that.

Comment

Maybe I can make this into a Top Chef presentation - "Ribeye 3 ways"!

Comment

I'd save the cap, (Spinalis Dorsi ) for another cook. At 1/2 lb. per person what you have left is almost enough (42 oz.). Maybe you have some smaller eaters in the group, so this would work. Roll and tie the eye in a nice cylinder shape (Longissimus Dorsi), do the same for the smaller piece (complexus). Cook these 2 at 250 to an internal temp of 125-130. Sear in a 500 degree oven or on your cooker. Maybe 10 minutes.
          Last edited by wrgilb; December 22, 2021, 09:01 PM.

Comment

• GoDuke
            GoDuke commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you! Good to learn the the Whatever Tube of meat has an actual name! 😀

I feel so stupid. I don’t know what I was thinking. I’ve done a rib roast like 10 times before and never did this. Glad I did it on a $9/lb roast for my in laws rather than a dry aged or wagyu roast or something.
            Last edited by GoDuke; December 22, 2021, 08:50 PM.

Your idea of ribeye three ways has a lot of merit. You seem to have a good handle in how to treat each part, so why not? Just tell your guests that you got bored with traditional rib roast and decided to turn it up to 11. Use a different rub for each and let each one sing it's own part in the chorus.

Comment

• DaveD
            DaveD commented
            Editing a comment
            This is genius advice. "Yeah, that's the ticket, I PLANNED it to be this way, yeah...!"

Originally posted by willxfmr View Post
          Your idea of ribeye three ways has a lot of merit. You seem to have a good handle in how to treat each part, so why not? Just tell your guests that you got bored with traditional rib roast and decided to turn it up to 11. Use a different rub for each and let each one sing it's own part in the chorus.
          "You see, this steak (the cap) is the best steak on the cow and normally it overlooks but I cooked it separately so that it’s perfect. And this muscle(the complexus) is called ribeye tenderloin, so you have medallions of that with a gorgeous pan sauce." 😂

Comment

• DaveD
            DaveD commented
            Editing a comment
            Nothing like moving those goalposts! Problem solved!

You would not be wasting anything if you bought another roast and did freeze the first one.

Comment

Roll it and cook it, you’ll be fine. I do like the suggestion of sous viding your rolled up meat to 130*F if you are concerned about the pathogens. After your 2 hour or so cook time you should be pasteurized and you can sear to protection!! Good luck, nothing is lost my friend. We just saved Christmas for you !!!’

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Scrolled down to say the same thing, I’ll just hit "like" and reinforce this answer.

The majority-owner, non-silent partner in my household said "no" to steaking and getting another. She says the freezer is where food goes to die in our house, and she's kinda right. Unfortunately our freezer sucks and everything gets freezer burned.

For the next 36 hours I'll be obsessing over "3-ways" vs sous vide. Thanks guys for making me feel like this wasn't a total catastrophe!

Keep the suggestions coming!

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s going to be great; it’s prime rib! Everyone will love it. Both choices will work. The sous vide will be easier. Leave the big blob fat next time, everyone expects to eat around it. (And some people eat it!)

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              GoDuke I don't think your freezer is at fault for freezer burn. You need to vacuum bag and seal everything. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I would do 1 and 2.
            ​​​​​​ Save the weird extra cylinder for something different

Serving 2 meats at dinner is a Christmas miracle .

Comment

How long do I cook a bone in rib roast 18 lbs 135degrees

Comment

Originally posted by bobs bbq View Post
              How long do I cook a bone in rib roast 18 lbs 135degrees
              What temp are you cooking at?

Comment

Wholey, Moley, I see the fun on the horizon.

Comment

I am looking forward to what solution you decide on. Personally, I love the idea of deconstructed Prime Rib Served Three Ways. It sounds like something a really top notch steak house would do for a Christmas Dinner!

All the best, everyone is going to love whatever you do.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here