Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A very different twist on Sous Vide Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very different twist on Sous Vide Brisket

QSV instead of SVQ, from Chud’s BBQ. https://youtu.be/AohVgovKI4A

Gotta say, i like everything about that

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory I have 11” rolls, it’s just will a packer fit in that? I might need to watch again, I just assumed he had a 16” sealer. I have a tough time fitting 5-6lb rib roasts in the 11” width.
      Last edited by glitchy; December 17, 2021, 09:22 PM.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy the packer will most likely fit well in an 11inch wide bag, especially after having been smoked and losing 1/3 to 1/2 of its weight. I can get some well trimmed packers into 11 inch bags for SVQ. Otherwise I split them in two.

Kathryn

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Wut she said â–²

he's a funny guy. And I need to try this.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Same, i am very interested in trying that method out. It makes a ton of sense RE replicating great restaurant brisket at home.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      He’s growing on me. I don’t think I could binge watch his channel, but watch one once or twice a week.

Glad there are some who like him.
    I have a hard time getting through a whole video of him.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqLuv View Post
      Glad there are some who like him.
      I have a hard time getting through a whole video of him.
      Same here. I fast forwarded just to see the end results which looked great.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed.

I admit to being intrigued by the method but am disinclined to try it for two reasons

1. His biggest justification for long overnight holds on a brisket is that it's how it is done in popular brisket joints. Well, they have a public to serve at 10 or 11am, and I don't. There doesn't seem to be a good culinary endpoint reason for such a long hold.

2. When he remarked, when sampling his brisket, that it was "delicious--very pot roasty in flavor", I figured it probably wasn't for me. A pot roasty flavor is what I try to avoid when smoking a brisket.

Kathryn

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        As far as #1 goes, aren’t the Texas joints known for running their pits all night long? If a 2, 4, or 6 hour hold made for better brisket in the land of extreme competition for the Texas Monthly kudos, wouldn’t they just adjust their start time to achieve that?

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        TO be fair, he says beefy once and then roasty (not pot roasty) but that's an odd description. Me, I'll try it tomorrow on some chuck, just because I don't want to buy a brisket just to try this.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea pot roasty is a big overdone no-no for me. It didn’t appear that way just looking at it. I am a proponent of long holds however with my experimenting. But long for me might be 6 hours, not 12 or 24. I think it’s a waste of time.

Well im giving this a shot. Just put the brisket on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	49172D9A-02F8-4F98-870C-5C4AB1C4B1CB.jpeg
Views:	241
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	1144063

Comment

Randomly saw it at shoprite. Looks like they did a half ass job of trimming but whatever. This is an experiment.

Comment

Getting there…

Click image for larger version

Name:	E09F699A-4A05-4B64-AF3A-ADAD28C00F10.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	1144314

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            So you hot tubbing it overnight then?

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            glitchy cooked way faster than expected. About 7 hours at 275 and it was probe tender. So yeah, its currently in the hot tub at 160. Gonna end up being much closer to his 24 hours than i originally planned.

Sooooo, long story short, i didnt see much added benefit by doing this. Now albeit, i wasnt doing a side by side and i was using a reg choice brisket from shoprite, not a prime. I did not get the roast flavor he referenced, still tasted like brisket to me. My bark did not hold up as well as his, but it also wasnt as good as his to begin with.

If anything this is a convenient way to hold a cook that finishes early but not worth becoming a reg addition to doing a brisket IMO. I may try it again with a prime to see if there is any difference but not in a rush to do so. Will post pics.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Good confirmation GG, thanks a bunch for doing that. I didn’t really think the long rest would matter. I go 4-6 hours max. I do like the convenience factor of SV however, plus the fact that the brisket stays moist. I may adapt this but with less time.

I might have to give this a try. I don’t make a ton of brisket but when I do it’s usually for a afternoon bbq. Which means cooking all night. I’m intrigued by the way you can cook this the day before and hold it effectively allowing me to get a good night sleep. 🤷‍♂️ Worth a try.

Comment

What intrigued me about this was that brisket is sometimes a PITA to time and if you're doing one for an event (family dinner, party, etc) then you may have to do work to make the timing come out right depending on the size of the packer. It's not as big of a deal if you have your cooker dialed in so that you can do it overnight but if not, you can cook the brisket the previous day, pull, SV over night and you're ready the next day.

But the real utility, I think, would be the ability to do a brisket ahead of time even by a few days, vacuum pack it, then SV it overnight.
            Last edited by rickgregory; December 19, 2021, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I basically just did that with a brisket flat I corned. I pre-smoked it then finished via SV. Refrigerated for a week in the vac bag then made pastrami by post smoking. Same basic concept. Cook when convenient then warm either in a smoker or directly via SV.

Tried this tonight and posted the full write up in SUWYC. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...95#post1149395

One thing I noticed is that the chuck was well marbled but threw very little purge.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here