Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick Question About Wet Aging Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Question About Wet Aging Beef

Good Morning Pitmasters, one of the local grocery stores had there biannual prime rib sale, so I ran over this morning and picked up a 4 bone-in CAB at just under 12 lbs. I plan to cut it in half, freeze half and cook the other half on New Year's Eve.

If I vacuum seal the portions, would it be okay to wet age the portion I plan to cook in the fridge for a couple of weeks?

Man, all these folks getting good deals on rib roasts, I ain't findin' NUTHIN'!

Comment

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      The CAB prime Rib was %5.79/lb. The choice was about $1 less per pound. Have you checked the online vendors? I have seen many emails about holiday sales from Porter Rd., Creekstone, Snake River and Crown Cow.

I think the short and safe answer is yes. When they cryovac I believe they run the bag itself through an antiseptic solution then vacuum seal the meat. The idea being that trapped bacteria is at a minimum. That means you can wet age for a couple of months without problems. In your case you are exposing the meat to the air prior to vacuum sealing it. From what I've read at best you are good for maybe 28 days that way, I sure wouldn't push it any further. Two weeks you're probably okay. Just make sure to get a good vacuum seal and keep it below 35*F in a fridge that isn't constantly being opened and closed.

That said I'd still consider freezing it. Salt brine it for a day or so, bag it up and freeze it, then thaw it out slowly a couple of days before cooking. But that's me.

Comment

• Bbqmikeg
      Bbqmikeg commented
      Editing a comment
      I concur my good man.
      If you freeze it It’ll pass the sniff test without worries.

I just froze mine. I figured I'll get a better crust going from frozen. I like Troutman advice, not sure how quick a facultative anaerobe can go to respiration then back to fermentation.

Comment

I wet age most all my briskets. I haven’t done a rib roast but feel the results would be similar. If you break the cryovac seal I’d freeze it. Ive had 2 briskets with very tiny pin holes that I didn’t notice. Both of those went bad quickly. I’d be concerned about introducing fresh air then resealing.

Comment

I would only do that if I knew and was familiar with the process. But it sure is fun to learn. Google and YouTube time.

Comment

I wet age in the original cryovac bag. Once I open it it gets cooked within a couple days or I freeze it. I’m sure my vacuum sealer gets enough air out to make it safe for a while, but I’d rather not risk it.

That said, I support your idea…let us know how it turns out so us more timid folks can try it if it’s a winning method!

Comment

Well I did some research on the interwebs and decided to take Troutman's advice and salt brine it for a day or so, bag it up and freeze it, then thaw it out slowly a couple of days before cooking. I think it would be good for 14 days, but man I'd be mad as heck if it wasn't.

Thanks for all your input.

Comment

I agree with Steve Troutman 's advice. I was trying to explain to my neighbor today how vac sealing a store packed (foam tray and shrink wrap) roast is most assuredly NOT the same as a cryovac-ed roast, but she wasn't picking up what I was laying down.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Some (wo)men, you jus cain't reach...

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here