Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costco Tri Tip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costco Tri Tip?

Costco Tri Tips come pre seasoned...anyone ever smoke these things?

Indirect grill /reverse sear is my go-to for beef that I am not smoking (usually due to available time!!)

Thoughts

I've only ever bought unseasoned tri-tip from Costco.

Comment

a buddy of mine has and he has enjoyed them but he doesn’t geek out on the cooking stuff like I do. I prefer to buy and season with what I want but I know it’s been harder to find the non-marinated/unseasoned tri at Costco lately.

Comment

Are they vacuum packed or just shrink wrapped? If the latter, they are probably doing it on site and might have some unseasoned in the back. My butcher sells them pre-marinated, but has unmarinated ones available usually if you ask.

Comment

• Bad Hat BBQ
          Bad Hat BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Vac Packed....decided on Mix Grill for Fajitas...

I had the pre-marinated and vacuum packed once. While the flavor was very good, the quality of the meat was poor. Tough and chewy as shoe leather although cooked no more than medium. Lots of chewy connective tissues in it. I will pass myself.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          That's just a really bad trip-tip (as you likely know). Usually they're tender as all hell.

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          rickgregory yes when I get them from my butcher they are prime grade and melt in your mouth tender. A favorite cut. I was just commenting on the Costco prepackaged product.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          This is good to know. I have never bought one. I love looking at the marbling - sometimes opting for Choice over Prime. I can’t see that on their seasoned roasts. Thanks for the review.

I always get the unseasoned ones from Costco. Just treat it like a big ole steak. When I get to the sear part of the cook, I position the skinny/pointy end of it away from the direct heat after the fist couple of flips as to try and not over cook that part.

Comment

If you have a sous vide setup you can also SV to temp, then grill to get the crust. The advantage is that the whole thing, skinny tip to thicker end will be the same doneness when you start grilling

Comment

• Santamarina
            Santamarina commented
            Editing a comment
            SV is the way to go with most Costco beef, as it’s blade tenderized. Safe and medium rare are both attainable with SV!

My COSTCO has an unblemished record of never, ever having tri-tip. I've given up hope and the meat workers there (hard to call them butchers) are now avoiding my questioning why. So I buy tri tip at a local purveyor but have never see one pre-seasoned there. Please keep us posted on your cook. I know I'm curious to see how yours turns out.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I feel bad for you and your COSTCO

I have tried the Costco pre seasoned, but prefer the non. They are flavored just too much from the marinade, the meat is a little mushy and way too salty. The beefy flavor is lost.

Comment

You could plan to add some smoke in the reverse before searing.

Comment

We only see the pre seasoned ones in our Costco. I've never tried them.

Comment

After years of soaking up info from this forum and the main AR page I never buy pre-seasoned meat anymore. Had one of them probably 5 years ago, and as I recall it was tasty.

Tri-tip has a great beefy flavor. Doesn’t need all the stuff most pre-marinated ones have. Traditional Santa Maria tri-tip is seasoned only with salt, pepper, and garlic…and cooked over a red oak fire.

My Costco rarely has pre-seasoned ones these days, but always has nekid ones - usually Choice and Prime cuts - but they’re all blade tenderized. 🤦🏽 I’ve heard that some Costcos are phasing out that technique, but mine hasn’t yet.

Comment

Blade tenderized? Never heard of that. Costco around here always has lots of TriTip, trimmed, untrimmed, individual, 3 pack, prime and choice. Are these Blade Tenderized labeled as such?

Comment

• Bad Hat BBQ
                    Bad Hat BBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    CostCo run on Tues....pics to follow

• tbob4
                    tbob4 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The bulk pack (untrimmed) is not tenderized. I really don’t have an issue with the tenderizing but I’m in the minority.

Guess I'm lucky with my local Costco. They always seem to have prime tri-tip on hand.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here