Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Packer Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow down, don't cook too fast
    You got to make the smoking last
    Just kicking back in the patio
    Looking for BBQ and feelin’ groovy

Hello, Pellet grill, what’cha cookin’?
    I’ve come to watch your smoke blowin’
    Ain’t’cha got no bark for me?
    Doot-in doo-doo, feelin’ groovy

I got some sides to do
    I Promise burnt ends to think
    I’m dappled and drowsy and ready to drink
    Let the morning time drop all its petals on me
    Life, I love you
    All is groovy

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      And people think I’M weird. 🙄

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Th 59th St. BBQ Song©

I had another thought. The point will probably be probe tender before the flat. That's normal. The point has more intramuscular fat, so it can take the extra time and still be moist. And if you are like most of us here, you are your most critical attendee. You will notice any deviations from a perfect product while your guests are wowed with the food. Don't sweat it and don't mention that it is less than perfect.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Word!

Not relying on temperature alone, going to check the doneness with the jiggle, jello, like butter method.

My new question is, where should I put the temperature probe? The point or the flat? Both?

Cooking overnight had me concerned, so I bought a Gizmo that will give a remote alert if it gets too high or low. (That's what I hope it does.) I'm guessing it should go in the point?

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Too late to matter, but for future reference, always put your probe in the thickest part of the flat, avoiding the deckle - the layer of fat between the flat and the point. I always insert it from the edge of the brisket into that area. The point will get to temp way before the flat, as will the fat, and make you think things are done before they are. Hint: The point can take plenty of heat and won't dry out - that is why you monitor the flat.

In the flat at it’s thickest part, next to the point. Since it’s thinner than the point, it should be done first.

Comment

Interesting, not what I thought.

Comment

A couple of weeks ago I smoked a packer that trimmed down to 13-14 lbs, same size as yours. It took 15 hours to cook, starting overnight at 225 for 11 hours. Then in the morning I raised it to 275 for the last 4 hours and it powered thru the stall WITHOUT ever being wrapped.

When I took it off at 201, I THEN wrapped in foil, and placed into my cambro for 4 hours.

It was very moist, practically fell apart when sliced, and our house guests loved it.

I hope this will help you in your time plan since the brisket size is about the same. It will be great and everyone will gobble it up!

Comment

I put mine in the thickest part of the point. I start checking for tender at about 195F with a bamboo skewer. When it slides through like going into warm butter your done. Historically mine are ready between 200 and 205. I used to wrap, but haven’t in quite an while. With paper It wasn’t worth the mess, I do wrap in foil when I pull it off the smoker then it’s time for at least a 2 hour rest in a cooler with some towels. The rest pays off wonderfully, makes a very noticeable difference. The folks here can guide you to become a good brisket cook, they have patiently guided me over the years. Ive been very flattered the last 2 years to have been ask to smoke briskets and pork butts for some local Christmas parties. You’ve got this!
          Last edited by Oak Smoke; December 17, 2021, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Problem with monitoring the point is that it often hits temp way before the flat, and it doesn't really matter, as it can take the heat, due to the much higher fat content. The flat is what you need to worry about drying out, and is what I would monitor.

Totally agree on not needing to wrap in paper during the cook.

So…how did it turn out?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Santamarina View Post
            So…how did it turn out?!?
            Well, it's 4:30 a.m. and I just took it off the smoker, wrapped it in a towel then placed it into a cooler. Eating time isn't until 1:00 p.m. Any tips on how to deal with this? (Besides getting a drink, that is.)

Comment

• Santamarina
              Santamarina commented
              Editing a comment
              Make sure it stays above 140°F IT or you risk bacteria growth. Consider putting it in the oven on warm - on my oven that’s 170°F. I’ve held brisket and pork shoulder at that temp for up to 12 hours.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Bong Hit?

Thank you Santamarina I appreciate the information. Here's a photo hubby took before wrapping it sometime in the night
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Ratherfly; December 18, 2021, 05:14 AM.

Comment

• Draznnl
              Draznnl commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks great! Congratulations.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Looking good!

Kathryn

6:30 pm to 4:30 is only 10 hours. That isn't very long for such a large packer. What temp was it when you took it off?

Comment

10 hours also seems short to me. I hope you were probing the temperature in the FLAT and not the POINT - and avoiding the deckle (layer of fat between the two). The only fast brisket I've done was at 300F smoker temp.

I am surprised no one has mentioned this, and it's a lot late for this comment, but a 13.5 pound packer does not seem like much for feeding 22 folks unless you have plenty of good sides to go with it. You tend to lose about 30-40% of that weight in shrinkage and fat/juices that cook out. I've fed 18 folks using an 18-20 pound packer before, and had no flat left, and just some point as leftovers, which I made into burnt ends the next day.

The rule of thumb I've seen is 1/2 pound *cooked* brisket per person. If you started at 13.5, you likely have 8-9 pounds of finished product at this point. With fat and trim, its a good rule to start with 1 pound per person raw brisket.

Comment

Did you probe for tenderness ?
              did it shake like jelly ?
              that is the tell all,,,,

Comment

So, the alarm went off at 200 degrees. I took a wooden skewer and slid it in in a couple spots. Like Buttah.

Two sides, baked beans and Mac and cheese plus a charcuterie board and codfish cakes to start. (Husband's family, they're of Portuguese decent.) Dessert of biscotti, Italian anise cookies and amaretto cookies is for me, because my ancestors were from Italy)

Should be enough food.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds amazing!

espresso and a nice glass of sambuca to top everything off ?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here