Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Packer Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smokin fool
    replied
    I've done both wrapped in foil and unwrapped, both have they're merits.
    If you do wrap in foil keep the au jus, its heaven on earth.
    Agree with upping the temp, I do my briskets at 300ish.
    Time is time, the meat will tell you when its done so allow for variables in your cook times.
    Excellent choice....gotta be beanz with brisket....
    Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Ratherfly For some reason, briskets make a lot of people nervous to cook, myself included, sometimes. But, you’re gonna do fine. Check for probe tenderness starting at around 195*. "Usually" they’ll be good to pull at 201*-203*. That’s it, you got this! But, be sure to wrap it and let it rest in a cooler for a couple of hours at least. Let us know how it turns out.

• Ratherfly
    replied
    Kathryn, I didn't add salt to the rub because I showered it with salt 2 nights ago. Thought it would be too salty with more.

So yeah, I'm calming down a bit. I've made trickier recipes before, not sure why this has me in a dither. Probably because there's so many differing opinions, maybe.

Leave a comment:

• Starsky
    replied
    You'll be fine. It sounds like you have the particulars figured out. I stopped worrying about what bread to serve it on. Most of my guests just grab the meat anyway

Leave a comment:

• Bad Hat BBQ
    commented on 's reply
    ?? Anyone else add finely ground coffee to their dry rub?
    Also a fan of Butcher paper raps...just sayin

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    It's always 0900, somewhere...

IMCE, not a Determinin Factour, Self-Medication-wise...

When in doubt, Break it out.

"Now Hear This:Th Smokin Lamp Is Lighted, Throughout All Designated Compartments... That Is All".
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 17, 2021, 09:10 AM.

• JCBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    9am? Hold off? What, you never heard of Irish coffee? 😜

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    +3

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Sounds like you've got a good plan with Meathead's (salt included) rub for dry brining. Just follow Meathead's Texas Brisket recipe over on the free side or in his cookbook and you will wow your guests.

Have fun with that cook and enjoy the party!

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• GolfGeezer
    replied
    I'll second/third cooking it at 250* on your pellet pooper. You do not say which one you have, but regardless, 250* will yield excellent bark and smoke. I do not wrap, cuz like Mr. Bones, I'm lazy - it will take longer, but that what drinkin' is for! You definitely want to rest it in a faux cambro or cooler, or even your oven at its lowest setting, wrapped appropriately. 2-3 hours.

Bon appetite!

Leave a comment:

• Draznnl
    replied
    First, relax. Everything is going to be alright. Try some deep breaths. In through the mouth and out slowly through the nose.

Second, Meathead's rub will work fine. Salt and pepper will work fine. Salt, pepper, and garlic will work fine.You have lots of options. What taste do you like best?

Third, don't freak out when it hits the stall. It is going to happen. the meat temp just won't go up for a long time. Grab a book you've been meaning to read. It could be a while.

Fourth, like everyone else said, start checking for probe tender around 195F. Every brisket is different and gets done when it is done.

Fifth, if the deep breathing doesn't work, remember what Troutman said, "‘one bourbon, one scotch and one beer’"

Good luck. Enjoy the cook and have fun at the party.

Leave a comment:

• Ratherfly
    replied
    "Maybe have a drink."

Don't mind if I do. Actually, it's 9:00 a.m., I'mma gonna hold off for a bit. I'm trying to relax, you folks' replies have helped a lot with that.

I will not rely on the temperature but texture. Got it. 👍

Thanks for the tip about weight after trimming. I'll weigh it before I put it on the grill to help get an ETD. (Estimated Time Done)

No other meat is being served, but I do have two pans of smoked mac & cheese, along with another pan of baked beans. Also, a charcuterie plate loaded to the edges with lots of tasty treats.

Mr. Bones, you crack me up. You make it sound so simple but I'm a Massachusetts-born Yankee living in Connecticut. Lobstah I'm good with, Brisket, not so much. Like you, I think the meal has to be cohesive, which is why I decline when people say, "What can I bring." I tell them wine. Can't go wrong with that. 🍷

"Yanqui spailin, not jus once, but twice...:"

Much appreciated... uh... pardner. 😆

Leave a comment:

• barelfly
    commented on 's reply
    +2

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    "Maybe have a drink"? I would suggest ‘one bourbon, one scotch and one beer’. That brisket gonna get cooked just fine 👍

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Jus relax...breathe in, breathe out, Sister...

I guaronshee this is gonna be th Best whole brisket that ya've ever made!

Even store brand white bread'll work jus fine; in fact, many Top BBQ joints serve their BBQ with zackly that. Want fancier bread, or rolls? Make it so! This is Yer Cook!!!

Don't let Analysis Paralysis ruin what should be a fun an challengin cook fer ya...

Don't think ya could go wrong with Meathead 's BBBR...

What sides are to accompany this Maiden Voyage into Whole Packerland?

As a Long Sufferin Professional / Commercial / Institutional cook, I tend to envision th whole meal, an try to adjust each component to compliment each other...does that kinda make sense?

We'uns is all right here fer ya, every step of th way!

An likely, if folks care how their food will come out have ever fed a crowd (especially Family ), we can ALL relate to yer (unneccessary) apprehensions...

Jus Ground, Center, an Focus on what ya decide to do, an calmly, peacefully, placidly, stoically cause it to happen.

Hit us up, any step of th way.

I don't wrap, mostly on accounta I'm lazy, an don't wanna deal with th mess...this most emphatically DOES NOT mean that mine is th One True Way, no Ma'am!

It is simply personal preference.

They is no One True Way, no Perfect Path...never git roped into believin that they is...

You* Do You... if'n ya need any assist, well, they's some purty dang danged talented folks, roun these here parts, what can set ya right as rain. (I ain't one of em )

Jus do yer best Babe Ruth imitation, point at a spot in th Grandstands, an knock that suckah outta th park.!!!

I ain't no kinda bettin man, Amiga, but if'n I was, my hard-earned dineros'd be on you*

*Ouch!!! Hadda use me a Yanqui spailin, not jus once, but thricet...:

Gots me some finger cramps, now

Reachin fer Self Medication.
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 17, 2021, 08:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here