Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Packer Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhead John
    replied
    In the flat at it’s thickest part, next to the point. Since it’s thinner than the point, it should be done first.

Leave a comment:

• Ratherfly
    replied
    Not relying on temperature alone, going to check the doneness with the jiggle, jello, like butter method.

My new question is, where should I put the temperature probe? The point or the flat? Both?

Cooking overnight had me concerned, so I bought a Gizmo that will give a remote alert if it gets too high or low. (That's what I hope it does.) I'm guessing it should go in the point?

Leave a comment:

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    And people think I’M weird. 🙄

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply

• RonB
    replied
    I had another thought. The point will probably be probe tender before the flat. That's normal. The point has more intramuscular fat, so it can take the extra time and still be moist. And if you are like most of us here, you are your most critical attendee. You will notice any deviations from a perfect product while your guests are wowed with the food. Don't sweat it and don't mention that it is less than perfect.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Slow down, don't cook too fast
    You got to make the smoking last
    Just kicking back in the patio
    Looking for BBQ and feelin’ groovy

Hello, Pellet grill, what’cha cookin’?
    I’ve come to watch your smoke blowin’
    Ain’t’cha got no bark for me?
    Doot-in doo-doo, feelin’ groovy

I got some sides to do
    I Promise burnt ends to think
    I’m dappled and drowsy and ready to drink
    Let the morning time drop all its petals on me
    Life, I love you
    All is groovy

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Bad Hat BBQ Yup, I use coffee grounds from my percolator in rubs, plenty often.

Ain't never used no fresh coffee, though...least not so far. Might give it a try, one day.

Always experimentin, think along th lines of [color=blue]"Mad BBQ Scientist...[color]

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    +2

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    +1 on beanz!

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    RonB "First - relax. Maybe have a drink." at 5:00 AM, like the way you think.

• Bad Hat BBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Her is my caper
    I wrap in paper
    Just an average grill master
    Avoid cookin disasters.....

Ummm ....Wrap not rap

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    +4
    On 2nd thought make that Ditto

• bardsleyque
    replied
    All of the above sounds good, I'm a S/P advocate, that's just me though.
    Enjoy the cook, and the party!!!

Leave a comment:

• bmillin
    commented on 's reply
    Never done it before X expensive hunk of meat X bunch of guests = reasonable anxiety but you are going to be fine, all of the advice offered so far is solid.

• saneric38
    replied
    Make sure you plan extra time as you can rest in a cooler for several hours if done early. I would also push the temp up to 250 or even up to 275. (Edit: 225 creates a risk of not getting it done when you want). I use foil a good bit to capture the juice and put it in a fat separator. For the overnight cooks, I typically try to get the internal temp to 165-170, then wrap and put in the oven at 200 while I sleep (edit, then I can up temp if needed when I wake). I could leave in the pellet smoker, but once wrapped in foil, I feel the smoke part is done.
    Last edited by saneric38; December 17, 2021, 09:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here