Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Packer Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Problem with monitoring the point is that it often hits temp way before the flat, and it doesn't really matter, as it can take the heat, due to the much higher fat content. The flat is what you need to worry about drying out, and is what I would monitor.

Totally agree on not needing to wrap in paper during the cook.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Too late to matter, but for future reference, always put your probe in the thickest part of the flat, avoiding the deckle - the layer of fat between the flat and the point. I always insert it from the edge of the brisket into that area. The point will get to temp way before the flat, as will the fat, and make you think things are done before they are. Hint: The point can take plenty of heat and won't dry out - that is why you monitor the flat.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Oh - just my thoughts as well, which I mentioned below way too late to help. I think the rule of thumb is about 1 pound raw brisket per person, which gives you plenty of room for trim/waste and shrinkage, and still have at least 1/2 pound per person.

• jfmorris
    replied
    10 hours also seems short to me. I hope you were probing the temperature in the FLAT and not the POINT - and avoiding the deckle (layer of fat between the two). The only fast brisket I've done was at 300F smoker temp.

I am surprised no one has mentioned this, and it's a lot late for this comment, but a 13.5 pound packer does not seem like much for feeding 22 folks unless you have plenty of good sides to go with it. You tend to lose about 30-40% of that weight in shrinkage and fat/juices that cook out. I've fed 18 folks using an 18-20 pound packer before, and had no flat left, and just some point as leftovers, which I made into burnt ends the next day.

The rule of thumb I've seen is 1/2 pound *cooked* brisket per person. If you started at 13.5, you likely have 8-9 pounds of finished product at this point. With fat and trim, its a good rule to start with 1 pound per person raw brisket.

Leave a comment:

• Clark
    replied
    6:30 pm to 4:30 is only 10 hours. That isn't very long for such a large packer. What temp was it when you took it off?

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Looking good!

Kathryn

• Draznnl
    commented on 's reply
    Looks great! Congratulations.

• Ratherfly
    replied
    Thank you Santamarina I appreciate the information. Here's a photo hubby took before wrapping it sometime in the night
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ratherfly; December 18, 2021, 05:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Santamarina
    commented on 's reply
    Make sure it stays above 140°F IT or you risk bacteria growth. Consider putting it in the oven on warm - on my oven that’s 170°F. I’ve held brisket and pork shoulder at that temp for up to 12 hours.

• Ratherfly
    replied
    Originally posted by Santamarina View Post
    So…how did it turn out?!?
    Well, it's 4:30 a.m. and I just took it off the smoker, wrapped it in a towel then placed it into a cooler. Eating time isn't until 1:00 p.m. Any tips on how to deal with this? (Besides getting a drink, that is.)

Leave a comment:

• Santamarina
    replied
    So…how did it turn out?!?

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    I hadn't noticed that you had pre-brined with salt only. You're right. A salted rub on top of a pre-brined piece of meat is not a good idea. A lot of the time I just dry brine with a salted rub, killing two birds with one stone.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; December 18, 2021, 12:09 PM.

• Oak Smoke
    replied
    I put mine in the thickest part of the point. I start checking for tender at about 195F with a bamboo skewer. When it slides through like going into warm butter your done. Historically mine are ready between 200 and 205. I used to wrap, but haven’t in quite an while. With paper It wasn’t worth the mess, I do wrap in foil when I pull it off the smoker then it’s time for at least a 2 hour rest in a cooler with some towels. The rest pays off wonderfully, makes a very noticeable difference. The folks here can guide you to become a good brisket cook, they have patiently guided me over the years. Ive been very flattered the last 2 years to have been ask to smoke briskets and pork butts for some local Christmas parties. You’ve got this!
    Last edited by Oak Smoke; December 17, 2021, 05:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Clark
    replied
    A couple of weeks ago I smoked a packer that trimmed down to 13-14 lbs, same size as yours. It took 15 hours to cook, starting overnight at 225 for 11 hours. Then in the morning I raised it to 275 for the last 4 hours and it powered thru the stall WITHOUT ever being wrapped.

When I took it off at 201, I THEN wrapped in foil, and placed into my cambro for 4 hours.

It was very moist, practically fell apart when sliced, and our house guests loved it.

I hope this will help you in your time plan since the brisket size is about the same. It will be great and everyone will gobble it up!

Leave a comment:

• Ratherfly
    replied
    Interesting, not what I thought.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here