Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Novice help Beef Rib Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novice help Beef Rib Roast

I have read Meatheads article and I am still a bit confused by the terminology. What is a beef rib roast? Is it Prime rib? How does it differ from prime rib roast? Rib roasts are on sale by me for $7.99 lb. Prime rib is not. I was thinking Christmas dinner. In the past we have done short rib and a beef tenderloin. I was shopping for short ribs when I came across this sale. Thanks for any help!

A standing rib roast or beef rib roast are "Prime Rib Roasts". It's an industry term and is a bit misleading. Most are Choice grade when sold for those prices, but you can find a really nice one if you dig around in the bin. I did that today and found a really nice one that I just finished processing.

Comment

The Cap'n is correct. The "Prime" in Prime Rib Roast does not refer to the USDA grade of the meat.

Comment

Inside tip: a properly prepared $8/lb choice rib roast tastes better than an indifferently prepared $39/lb dry aged prime rib roast. You can get a pretty damn nice piece of meat for $8/lb if you get to look them over and pick one out.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup.

Terminology is a funny thing. Cooking terms are like English words…sometimes they mean different things.

As others have said, a properly prepared Choice rib roast will be glorious. I’ve cooked many for Xmas and they are every bit as tender and juicy as you could want.

My advice: pick up one of those $8/lb roasts and follow Meatheads instructions. Whatever you do don’t skip Mrs O’Leary’s Cow Crust!
        Last edited by Santamarina; December 16, 2021, 11:50 PM.

Comment

I got a frozen mini Choice Prime Rib Roast that is covered in Tony's awaiting Christmas and the pellet pooper. It's going in frozen. It was trimmed out of a larger roast.

Just me, myself, and I waiting for the horizontally gifted guy.
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; December 17, 2021, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmm, interesting, I have a sirloin tip in the freezer now, never thought to give it a covering of Tony's then freezing it.
            Next time.

• Bruce Z
            Bruce Z commented
            Editing a comment
            what is Tony's?

"Prime" is where the confusion set in. I appreciate everyone for clarifying this terminology for me. Sounds like it’s gonna be good!

Comment

Right, when they named it "Prime rib", they were referencing the rib primal section, not the grade, such as Prime, Choice or Select. Plenty of grrrrrrreat Choice rib roasts out there. I'm thinking of doing one this year, it's been a few years since I did one.

Comment

Originally posted by DTro View Post
              "Prime" is where the confusion set in. I appreciate everyone for clarifying this terminology for me. Sounds like it’s gonna be good!

Yes, it IS gonna be good. Remember it will continue to "cook" once it's out of the heat. Internal temp could raise up to 5 degrees while it's "resting". Could be the difference between rare and medium rare for some folks. Or (shudder) between med-rare and medium. Past medium rare there's not much one can do to save it.

And for my bragging rights we have found the mother lode at our local Kroger. Prime rib roasts (in cryovac) at $6.97/lb. My wife and her sister are there now trying to get as many as the store will let them carry out.

Comment

Thought this could help:

Comment

• DTro
                  DTro commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for sharing- I am a fan of Chef Jean-Pierre. He likes a little meat with his butter!
                  Last edited by DTro; December 18, 2021, 01:43 PM.

Originally posted by DTro View Post
                I’ve done two or three of these a year for the last 30 years, there isn’t a single mistake I haven’t made.

If you’re comfortable doing whole tenderloins, then you got this one. One difference to note is that rib roasts accelerate; it takes forever for a rib roast to go from 40* to 100*, and then it goes to 130* in the blink of an eye. So pay attention.

In my house, we have people who want medium rare, and people who want well done. There are two ways to handle this. First choice: get two smaller roasts. Or, cut the one big roast you have into two, proportionate to who wants what. Ten guests and four are well done? Cut 60/40. Second choice: when serving, heat a skillet to medium. As you cut for the well done crowd, toss their slices in the skillet, about 20-30 seconds a side. It doesn’t take long. For me, the second choice works better, it’s easier for me to pay attention to one roast at a time. But another cook might think I’m nuts, and they’d rather do two roasts.

Have fun with it. In the end all you’re doing is heating up a big hunk of meat. It’s easy!

Last edited by Mosca; December 18, 2021, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
                  GolfGeezer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mosca Don't you find the "well done" folks are just reacting to the red (they assume blood, but it ain't) color and juices? I find that having a skillet/pan with heated au jus and plunking their slices into it makes the slice "look" well-done, but obviously it is not.

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  GolfGeezer I actually wrote that and deleted it! Yes, I agree completely. My experience is that my "well done" guests eat skillet slices with gusto, and, while not outright rejecting true well done rib roast, eat less of it. They don’t go back for seconds.

• DTro
                  DTro commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks- the acceleration tip is priceless!!! I will seat the well done crowd outside by the fire pit and let them cook to there own liking. Hope it doesn't rain. Ha

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here