Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pot Roast...to smoke or not to smoke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pot Roast...to smoke or not to smoke?

On Christmas Eve, I make a pot roast dinner. I've smoked and thoroughly enjoyed chuck roast by itself as a meal and then later use it for sammiches and hash but how would it be when used for a traditional pot roast dinner? I would smoke it for a couple of hours and then chunk it in to braise with all the other goodies. Honest question!

You have a go-too recipe, I'd go with it. Not everything needs to be smoked, and you will probably have plenty going on otherwise. Try it on another occasion maybe.

Comment

I just did an old fashioned pot roast and traditional veggies/potatoes in the slow cooker a few days ago. Nothing like it. Yum. Hey I do smoked chuck roast too and love it. But for "pot roast", I like to go traditional. Just me.

Comment

Your thought about "chunking" it after smoking and then going to a "traditional" braise got me to thinking. Why not chunk it in the raw, then go to the smoker with the chunks arranged on a wire rack over a sheet pan. If smoke flavor is your objective that will give you better exposure to more meat surface.

Comment

My thought is like bmillin's- I wouldn't mess with the Christmas dinner. BUT... you can test it out before then. If you want to try one, I'd try it this weekend.

I think it would be delicious, personally and have smoked chuck and then used it in chili. Not done smoked chuck in regular pot roast braise but I think it would work. Taking to to about the stall, just when the bark is about to form gives a nice smokey touch without making it all about the smoke. I'd stop short of laying on real bark since that changes the texture and some might not like it.

However - it depends who's over for Christmas, whether they like smokey food, how attached people are to 'the way we always do it' etc.
          Last edited by rickgregory; December 9, 2021, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Definitely agree with experimenting first with nothing on the line! And you could probably stop the chuck at 190 and slice, instead of going all the way to 203. Might be worth a try, especially if you get a nice chuck on special somewhere.
            Last edited by DaveD; December 10, 2021, 06:36 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

I have smoked chuckies for a couple hours before braising for Mississippi pot roasts. Works out well for our taste. Would make for a different Christmas dinner.

Comment

No guts, no glory! I would smoke it for just a few hours to give it some smoke flavor and proceed as normal.

Comment

Smoke it!

Comment

It will be fine. I do this with pork for chile verde and brisket/chuck for chili. Lay some smoke on the veggies too.

Comment

I vote for a trial run. I know that I don't care for the taste of smoked gravy, and several here have agreed with me. I do love a smoked chucky though, and it's great in other dishes like tacos and chili.

Comment

I support this idea 100%…just not on Xmas. There are so many unspoken expectations with major holiday meals. The first Thanksgiving I smoked a turkey I also did an oven bird - not because I had doubts about the smoke, but because some family members are VERY traditional with holiday food.

If doing two versions is an option, do it. If not, then take the advice of many others and do a trial run ahead of time to get family approval.
                        Last edited by Santamarina; December 10, 2021, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Are we havin a poll here?

I’m in the smoke it camp. What could go wrong, AND does anybody give a rip? I mean, will ya have a room full of guests goin "shucks man, he smoked the chuckie". Nahhh, they will probably say "wow, this is fantastic 57mm is one heckuva cook" or " this sucks, I not comin back here again" or "ya know, this is OK" . My guess is "the heckuva cook", yessir!
                          Last edited by FireMan; December 10, 2021, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• smokin fool
                            smokin fool commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You can’t please everyone so at least please yourself

• rickgregory
                            rickgregory commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Depends on his family, who he's having over etc. Some people are REALLY particular about holiday meals, others aren't. Only he can answer that one.

• Troutman
                            Troutman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You sarcastic bastard that made me laugh 😂

"Pissst…did you taste the hint of smoke he had in that pot roast? Why I was aghast!!! Oh the humanity …"

FireMan Gotta agree with
                          I smoke round and sirloin tip roasts all the time.
                          Usually a shorter cook 3-4 hours to get the inside temp to 130 which can be pretty rare depending on the cut of beef
                          lately I’ve been going to 140ish
                          I wanted to axe Turkey this year however it’s our turn to host and my SIL insists on a traditional turkey dinner so I will oblige her wishes
                          Anyway good advice doing a test cook

Comment

smokin fool , it’s YER house cuz ya said YER hostin. Cook what ya want & have Turkey drumstick specially just fer her & smile & tell her ya love her, unless the two of ya don’t get along then say "here, this fer you, FireMan told me I could do this"! 🤗

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here