Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you trim the fat from your steaks before grilling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you trim the fat from your steaks before grilling?

The fat bands on the edges of steaks and pork chops? I have a feeling most people do not. I find that extra little bit of work before cooking eliminates a plate full of trimming scraps when it's time to eat. Plus it helps get that tasty brown sear on all edges instead of just the top & bottom.

Anyone else with me?

I trim the fat from steaks and chops religiously, also Prime Rib roasts and Pork shoulders. Bands of fat around the outside just block flavors and smoke. Many people seem to think that cutting this fat off will diminish flavor but the fat on the outside doesn't flavor the meat. It's also better to cut it off beforehand when you have company then they can spend their time enjoying your BBQ and not fighting fat!

Great post.

Comment

Dand1178 I agree 110%, you explained exactly my reasoning behind it to a T. I've heard buddies say you need to leave it on since it will dry the steak out if you trim it. 'Oh really?' I say... nonsense!

Welcome to The Pit! When you get some time, head over to the Introduce Yourself channel and give us some info on yourself and what you like to cook. Also be sure to check out Pit Boss' Welcome & Announcements channel and the tips posts there too. These will help you to navigate around here and to fill out your signature, as well as learn the best way to post pictures. Glad to have you here, enjoy!

Comment

I trim the fat off the steaks as well. They grill so fast the fat doesn't have time to bring flavor or moisten the meat. But I have tried the "beef love". The fat I trim off my brisket or beef ribs I keep and brush on the steaks. This brings an additional flavor to the meat.

Comment

It definitely does Mal, I do that too. I grill over wood fire, so the beef love tends to make flame love too, but it's yummy.

Comment

Even better to clean up the excess on a prime rib and just cook that w/o all the excess and irrelevant. Still plenty of fat where it counts.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here