Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to buy a prime rib?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to buy a prime rib?

Our son is coming home for Christmas and my wife told me this morning, (after all the sales have ended...), she would like to have prime rib while he's here.

What o/l purveyor would you suggest for a prime prime rib roast?

Thanks...

I'd start with Costco

Comment

Yeah, when it comes to the kids when my wife says "she’d like to have or do something", it really means "you will do it". A happy wife is a happy life.

I’d first check Costco too.

Comment

Costco. I was at the one in Fort Myers, Florida today. They typically carry a boneless USDA choice prime for $13.75/lb and average about $65 a hunk. I would prefer bone in but haven't ever seen it. Bone in at my local independent butcher recently, USDA choice $18.75/lb and it's only going to get worse. Today Costco also had several 8lb briskets running about $65. I am always impressed by their meat dept. Sam's here never carry PR or brisket, or really anything else of worth.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome to The Pit.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto on the welcome. Check in on the introduce yerself channel!

Around here they start appearing in the grocery stores about now, then have a big half price sale right after Christmas when we load up, and then they are gone until next December. At least that has been our previous experience with Food Lion.

Comment

Do you have any local butcher shops? I'm really lucky as there are a couple. Getting a prime will be the hardest part. Most places, even the better ones only get Choice +. As already mentioned Costco is a very good option and they do actually have Prime. Around all the holiday our local Jewel grocery store always has Choice "prime" rib roasts for a great price. Just bought 2 before Thanksgiving for $6.99/lb. They were absolutely delicious and meat counter ladies will pull out and show you all the sides to make sure the marbling is good.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree, save your money on sourcing Prime. The cut itself is so tender that even a decent select cut would probably do just fine.

I suggest Costco or possible The Fresh Market if you have one of those nearby.

Comment

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            I really like my local Fresh Market for hard-to-find speciality items. The meat quality is outstanding and it is a great option if Costco doesn’t have it. I bought my turkey from them this year and was very pleased. At $2.99 a pound, I guess it should be, but it delivered!

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            STEbbq - I buy all my steaks at Fresh Market. They carry both choice and prime, and I buy whichever looks the best.

I'll try Costco and then FM if Costco doesn't have what I want.

If it's all out you want then I'd suggest Pat LaFrieda aged. There's also Lobel's or just plain old Crowd Cow wagyu for $250 buck-a-roos.

Comment

Www.Belmontbutchery.com looks nice. I just typed in butchers near Richmond VA in Google maps. Seems there are some decent choices.

I always go to my butchers for my holiday meats - prime rib, leg of lamb etc. always good. They can order anything

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been there several times, and really wasn't impressed. They can order whatever I want, but I prefer to see what I'm getting...

I get mine from some dude that comes around in a pickup truck.

Comment

• JohnPaul
              JohnPaul commented
              Editing a comment
              That's who I buy all my ground "meat" from. I asked once what kind of meat and he politely suggested I didn't really want to know. Good enough for me. I'll take 10 pounds please.

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Along with other smok - er -consumables...

Snake River Farms still running a 15% off sale. I think i saw Creekstone had that cut on sale as well. I buy mine from flannerybeef. None of those options are cheap though...

Comment

Costco. Also, your local grocery store may get them in the next few weeks.

Wild Fork Foods has 7.5 lb (average weight) prime grade bone-ins for $18.98/lb and choice Black Angus bone-ins for $12.98/lb:

Explore Wild Fork's Beef & Steaks collection, curated to perfection with a delectable assortment of day-to-day, premium, and grilling cuts. From juicy steaks to melt-in-your-mouth roasts, we've got your cravings covered. All sourced with the utmost care and delivered straight to your home, ensuring a hassle-free and flavorful dining adventure.

Comment

If you're looking for online, I'd try Wild Fork for commodity beef. For specialty products, take a look at Meat and Bone.

I'm with jfmorris though, Fresh Market has very good beef at reasonable prices.

Meat and Bone has an excellent selection (from choice to Japanese Wagyu and everything between), but plan on spending $$$.

Comment

Our Walmart actually had several the other day but I have a feeling Costco would beat their prices though.

Comment

meat market, local butcher, but if you would like to make a trip to Hillsboro Oregon, Home - Meating Place PDX
                    6495 NW Cornelius Pass Road
                    Hillsboro, OR 97124
                    (503) 533-0624

Don't forget to bring your wallet. 💸

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here