Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribeye cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribeye cap

I have wanted to cook this cut for a long time, but it is hard to find, as most places are unwilling to remove the cap from ribeye or prime rib. So when my wife found it at Costco, we jumped on it. I cooked this on my gasser, indirect until about 125 IT, at which point I finished it on the hot side. I used the MH Cow Crust that I would use on prime rib. Oh. My. God. This was the best steak I have ever had, by miles.

Excellent! I occasionally shop online at Snake River Farms for some higher end beef for special occasions. They sell ribeye cap and I have been meaning to try it (when there's a sale). On that note, they also sell ribeye filet steaks, what's left after the ribeye caps are removed. They are thick and look like a filet minion, but are worlds better. If you can ever get your hands on ribeye filet steaks, they're well worth a try.

Comment

I've made the same from Costco. Wow is it amazing. Such a wonderful beefy flavor. I don't get why you don't see them more often.

Comment

• mayapoppa
        mayapoppa commented
        Editing a comment
        When I talked to a butcher about it, he said it doesn't make good financial sense for them to pull the cap off of a prime rib, as they can't sell the remaining prime rib in the manner most customers expect. Which is a big money cut. That said, in reading @Huskee's comment, I think we need to spread the word about the ribeye filet... get that cut popular, and we have more of both!

I read somewhere Meathead saying that he cuts the cap off and cooks it separately. He too said its an exceptional steak.

Comment

A while ago, I went to a butcher looking for this cut. The butcher knew what I was talking about, but said they don't remove the cap from prime ribs. But he said that if I bought the whole prime rib, they could cut the cap for me, and dry age the remaining ribeye/prime rib on site, to be pulled as needed. Sounded like a great idea... when I asked how much that would cost, he said "about $500-700, depending on the cut." Ok, so maybe not.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          mayapoppa ...

You can cut the cap off yourself its pretty easy actually. It's well marked by the fat between the pieces of meat.

I don't remember exactly what recipe I read it in but Meathead said sometimes when he entertains friends he cuts the cap off and saves it for a later cook. He also said its the best steak there is on the whole cow.
          Last edited by Breadhead; October 1, 2015, 11:27 AM.

• mayapoppa
          mayapoppa commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, but to get enough to feed my family a bunch of cap steaks, I'd have to buy a big prime rib! And to be honest, when I do have prime rib, I love the cap, and would miss it.

I've been known to order a ribeye, eat the cap and leave the rest.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here