Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In defense of tenderloin and filet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In defense of tenderloin and filet

I know that listicles exist to provoke a reaction. To that extent, you probably should just know that this one says to order something other than tenderloin or filet, usually a hangar steak or tri-tip, and you can skip clicking on it. Or read it, whatever.

It’s the same tired "wisdom" we’ve been reading for years: fork-tender but tasteless, expensive, not worth it, etc.

But you know what? I eat a lot of hangars, and tri-tips, and strips and flat irons and ribeyes and everything else. And you can’t compare any of those to filets and tenderloins. Same animal… not the same experience! What happens is that we get caught up in artificial rankings, "better" and "worse", worth it and not. But when it comes to plate and table, each has its own merit, and none of us would turn away from any properly prepared beef. Ribeye? Youbetcha! Strip? I’m in line! Braised short ribs? Sure! Thinly-sliced-against-the-grain steamship round? Yes please! 12oz filet? Thank you!

Sometimes you just want the mild beefy flavor along with melt-in-your-mouth tenderness. That’s why cows have tenderloins.

My wife and I both prefer tenderloins...

Comment

We eat Ribeye probably 90% of the time, but every so often I want steak that isn’t quite so rich, so we go for a fillet.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. For me it’s usually strip steaks. But filets are sublime.

Well said.

K.

Comment

Beef Tenderloin is great any day!

Comment

A good filet done medium rare, with a little melted butter, salt and fresh ground pepper….hell yeah! But there’s not many cuts of steak I don’t like, in fact, I can’t think of a one. Give me a good porterhouse with some sautéed mushrooms and onions, I’m good. Same with a good NY Strip. I love a good ribeye as much as anyone. Thinly sliced skirt steak, I eat several slices before they even make it to the tortilla! Maybe those chefs in the survey just see so many filets they get tired of it. Even without all the intramuscular fat of other cuts, they’re still heaven on a plate to me.
          Last edited by Panhead John; November 26, 2021, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I think filet has lost its shine. Once the pinnacle of steakhouse fare I think it has been over done. Like cheesecake or creme brulee. I still like a good fillet but prefer strip over both fillet and rib eye. A nice porterhouse is definitely my favorite. However I ordered filet from Porter road and it was amazing. A nice change.

For other cuts I love Tri-tip, Bavette, steak tips, picanha, flank, and skirt.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Strip It!
              Strip It GOOD!

Strips, prob 90% of th time...

But, I was borned in KC, due to no fault of my own

So, genetic and/or geographical predisposition could be an arguable factour...

Growin up, way back yonder in th Hills???

We saw steaks, mebbe half again as often as Bigfoot...

I can honestly count th times on my ( reproductive appendage reference deleted), that I had a Steak, up until well past 10 yrs+ old...
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 27, 2021, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Tenderloin wrapped in bacon is good. My favorite steak is whatever’s on sale or marked down this week. I’d rather eat at a fish restaurant if the wife wants to go out.
              Chuck-eye steak is my holy grail and is the reason I treat the butchers at my store like gold. There’s only one on every chuck and they usually snap them all up.

Comment

There's a big difference between would I eat it if it was placed in front of me, and, would I order it if I had other choices.

Comment

My favorite cut is usually the one I have eaten most recently. I just had some hangers a few days back so those are currently my favorite. But the next time I cook up a ribeye that will be my favorite. And then when I have a good filet that will be my favorite.

When it comes to beef I am easy to please. The only exception is flat iron. I have tried it half a dozen times since a lot of people rave about it but I just don't get it. Really don't care for the flavor all that much.

Comment

”Nobody puts beef tenderloin in a corner”

Jokes aside, I think they’re great. I like the variety. Sometimes hanger steak, sometimes beef ribs, sometimes beef tenderloin.

Comment

I've never been a real fan so I'll tender my resignation.
                      I do eat it though. Wife's favourite beef cut and everything in her case must be well done and fillet is very forgiving in that area.

Comment

Much ado about nothing IMO. If you enjoy something, then go for it, if you don't, then don't. Just because I don't happen to particularly enjoy filet or tenderloin doesn't mean that I'm following someone else's advice, it simply means that I enjoy other cuts enough that given the choice, I won't order filet or tenderloin.
                        As long as I'm not negatively impacting someone else, I'll do me, and you do you.

Comment

• Mosca
                          Mosca commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I agree. We think the same thing but from different directions. The very thought of someone writing a listicle saying not to order filets and tenderloins short-circuits me. You like it? Eat it. You don’t like it? Skip it. But saying it isn’t good? De gustibus non disputandem est. I don’t like fish, but I don’t tell people to not eat it.

• Mosca
                          Mosca commented
                          Editing a comment
                          When I’m in a steakhouse, I order strip steak. I follow the same reasoning you do: given the choices, how do I want to allocate my money and my appetite? On the other hand, though, I’ve enjoyed the hell out of every tenderloin and filet I’ve ever eaten. I once bought a whole select tenderloin and made chili out of it; it was freakin’ awesome.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here