Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first brisket!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first brisket!

So I got my Pit Barrel Cooker about a year ago and I've always wanted to make a brisket. Recently I bought Aaron Franklin's meat smoking manifesto (thru AR) and my desire hit a fever pitch. On Saturday, the forces of the universe got together and made it happen. Everything came together: a crowd of people coming over, the boy's soccer game got cancelled so I'd be home, Costco had the perfect Prime brisket for cheap, and some last minute guests from Austin were coming. There would be no better time to make authentic Texas brisket!

I studied the book, videos, anything I could get my hands on to prepare for the cook. I trimmed up the meat, applied the rub (just salt and pepper), and fired up the PBC. I dropped in some oak chunks and I was ready to roll. It was about as effortless a cook as I've had, with the PBC between 250-275 degrees the entire cook. The stall hit at about 150 degrees internal and I just settled in, ready to wrap as soon as I saw the temp go up a notch. After almost seven hours on the cooker I was home free. I pulled it off, wrapped it in foil (no butcher paper around) and put it back on the cooker (using the grate off hook). My first check was at 8.5 hours in and I was at 188. 30 min later (9 hrs total) I was at 203. Perfect!

I let it rest just over an hour before my guests couldn't take it any longer. I had to slice and serve, the smell was intoxicating. It tasted as good as it looks. The bark was good, the slices were tender and juicy with a small smoke ring, could be easily pulled apart, and had great flavor. The brisket was a hit! I know there are some things I can do better next time, but all in all, I couldn't be any more excited about my first brisket. A big shout out to Aaron Franklin for giving me the knowledge and confidence to make it happen.
    Last edited by J's BBQ; September 29, 2015, 08:48 PM.

Home run right there!!!

Nice looking intramuscular fat on the flat, and those muscle striations almost run directly across the flat, pretty neat.

Comment

J's BBQ ...

Nice. For your first brisket that's a grand slam.👍

If your Texas friends like it you know you've done good. Texans know their brisket. There's always something you'll want to tweak on the next cook.

Studying and planning goes a long way in BBQ. Good job my friend.🍻

Comment

Great deal!

Keep throwing parties and cooking for them

Comment

Looks terrific!

Comment

Congratulations, that took guts to do your first one for friends right of the bat. It looks terrific!

Comment

J's BBQ, Congratulations! Now you will have to buy a bigger table to fit in every one coming to EAT. 😃 Dan

Comment

NICE!!!

Comment

NICE!! Resist the temptation to tweak too many things on the next cook. Maybe tweak just one thing at a time.

Comment

• CurlingDog
                    CurlingDog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ernest is right.. keep to the plan. Brisket and cooking in general doesn't lend itself well to multi-variable testing. you are just getting started!

That looks freakin' awesome! I think I have to do another brisket soon...

Comment

Awesome job, Luv those prime briskets from Costco. I have to drive an hour and twenty to get them but they are worth it for $3.79/lb!

Comment

That brisket is a thing of beauty, J's BBQ . Congrats!

Kathryn

Comment

You have inspired me J's BBQ ! I have been wanting to cook a brisket forever and have been a little intimidated by it. I just recently got a PBC and spent much of the morning reading Meathead's Texas Brisket recipe. I think it's finally time. Congrats on a great cook!

Comment

I agree with everyone, beautiful job! That sliced picture showing that juicy glistening goodness is great!

Comment

Saweeet. Think I'll be doing a turkey before I tackle a brisket but this thread just might change my mind. That piece of meat looks AMAZING!!!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here