Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib roast pre-cook temperature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib roast pre-cook temperature?

About to pop a rib roast into the oven. It’s been in the deep freeze for (a while), and has been defrosting in fridge for a day+. Been sitting on the counter for most of the morning.

instant read says the interior is still chilled, just at 30 degrees.

does "put in the oven at room temperature" mean room temp all the way through the roast, or should we expect the exterior to be more rare than the exterior if we start the cook now?

if using the in-oven temp probe, and the goal is to pull the meat around 120, what temp should the center really be aimed for, considering how chilled the middle seem to be?

We don't recommend starting with room temp meat, especially if reverse searing. It would take many hours for a thick roast to be at room temp (65-70F) in the deep center, and that's just too long for food safety. To me, room temp means the outside no longer feels cold. The inside will always be colder.

Shoot for the coldest, deepest spot when measuring your food's doneness temp.

We often suggest pulling the meat when the center is 5-10 degrees away from your target on thicker roasts to allow for carryover cooking. The outer layers of hot meat are a hot blanket for the inner layers, so it will continue to rise after removing from cooking.

Meathead's prime rib article will have tons of great info for you on this subject: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...r-beef-roasts/

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      You got a mouse in yer pocket?

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I can check texastweeter

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Hope it ain't a water moccasin...

Your fine, an follow the recipe. Cook to temp based on internal temperature.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I take a rib roast to about 118° then pull and cool (will rise to rare/med rare) then blast it at 500° for 20ish minutes to sear outside.

The take the roast of the fridge for an hour to come up to room temp is BS. It would take hours for that to happen. An hour at room temp will maybe bring it up 1-2 degrees. Just cook as you had planned and pull at whatever temp you planned. May take a big longer considering how cold it is but shouldn’t change your plan at all

Comment

Thanks everyone

roast was pulled at 120, which was a shade higher than I personally would care for. Still, meal was enjoyed by all.

Comment

I’ve de-chilled a whole rib roast by putting it on the Weber with a half of a chimney worth of coals and let the rotisserie spin for a half hour. Then I added more hot coals to get the temp up to 400 or so to really cook it. I usually leave it in the cryovac and set it out for two hours if it’s not a work night.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here