Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video: How To Cook A Steak Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video: How To Cook A Steak Right

It's done in the house, in cast iron. It involves dry brining, maillard reaction, butter, garlic, rosemary, shallots. And carry over cooking. And Chef Jean-Pierre!!!

It's pretty darn good and aligns well with what we know in Amazing Ribs/Pitmaster

I am subscribed to his YouTube channel. He does have fun and the love of cooking to share.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      he's incredibly engaging, loves cooking, and cooks really well. Since I started looking at his videos I've learned a couple new tricks, which I love.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      As am I. He is always so exuberant, an enthusiastic.

His persona is embracing, an soothing...

His manner of presentation is marvelous; he gives th First Timer confidence, an helps us all develop along, in Baby Steps.

ecowper totally agree, both learned new an love that, Brother!

Keep it comin, Life...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 22, 2021, 03:43 PM.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a simply outstanding review Mr. Bones . You should post it for his channel!

I'm a fan. I made his port beef stew recipe last week. So gooood!

Comment

Where has this guy been all my life? Very entertaining.

Comment

Wow! I had all intentions of watching for a couple of minutes only, not the whole 17 minutes. I could not stop. This guy is probably the most entertaining chef I’ve seen. Funny too!
        Last edited by Panhead John; November 28, 2021, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I have to force myself to only watch one of his videos a day.

I do like this guy.

Comment

Just throwing this out there and saving it myself for future reference.

Fish & Chips

BBQ sauce with bourbon: ( this one is hilarious!)

”Oh, that’s delicious!” adds more bourbon

Last edited by STEbbq; November 22, 2021, 08:00 PM.

Comment

• tmaan235
            tmaan235 commented
            Editing a comment
            Eco, this does not make you a bad boy.... trust me

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            tmaan235 that IS NOT what my wife says

• tmaan235
            tmaan235 commented
            Editing a comment
            Eco, there are a few times in your life that when your wife speaks.... all you hear is white noise... just saying

He's good and he's fun, but am I the only one who thinks he must be the inspiration for the voice of Watto from Star Wars?

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn’t think that until you said it. Now I can’t unhear it

Whala! Dat is a great vid!

Comment

Man, the dude is going all out with recent Thanksgiving uploads. He clearly loves this holiday!

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              He’s killing it …. A video every day with links to Thanksgiving recipes from past years.

Very entertaining and informative. Kind of like watching a Parisian Meathead, especially when he talks about myths, time and temperature.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Man, I almost posted this as "French Meathead" …. Now I wish I had

Yes, chef reinforces what I learned here and tell my kids - does not matter what internal temp you like your steak, the development of the crust is crucial. Thus I always front sear steaks to my desired crust and finish indirect.

I’ll have to go search his videos for the sauce making he mentioned.

thanks for posting.

Comment

• tmaan235
              tmaan235 commented
              Editing a comment
              Not to degrade what works for you but have you ever considered reverse sear?

• TripleB
              TripleB commented
              Editing a comment
              tmaan235 - Very familiar with reverse sear. I use it for roasts, not steaks. As mentioned above, I want to control the crust or bark formation on my steaks. That is where all the flavor is IMHO. I can control the crust better with a front sear. If reverse sear works for you - drive on!

I enjoyed the video also and will definitely watch more. He’s a definite fan of resting the meat whereas Meathead is not. What do you all think?

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              I think that Meathead doesn't recommend resting your steak if you have done either front or rear searing, since there is the low & slow, aka indirect portion. The temp has already pretty much equilibrated. It's different if you grill over high heat with frequent flips the entire cook. Then there will be sufficient carryover heat, so you would want to pull before your target temp, and allow time (rest.) ?

• Ronaldf123
              Ronaldf123 commented
              Editing a comment
              Dr. Pepper Meatheads reasoning makes sense, thanks
              Panhead John. Yes, we used to always eat cool steaks before coming to this site.

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Ronaldf123 my input, for what it is worth, on the great resting of steak debate. Meathead and Jean-Pierre are both incredibly accomplished cooks. Each has their own preferred method for cooking a steak. And I am positive that were you to follow each method, you would have good outcomes.

:-)

Thanks for introducing some of us to chef JP.

Comment

Great video! Haven’t seen him before

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here