Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagyu vs prime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagyu vs prime

I have generally been a prime guy. Occasionally splurge. Obviously this is that American wagyu as opposed to some 300$ a pound Kobe. I really have been happy with prime. Am I missing something?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1C06D9C2-63A4-43AE-A8C1-1DC3B6F2F3DB.jpeg
Views:	378
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	1127409

You tell us! That looks like a great hunk of meat.

Comment

Well, I have always cooked Prime brisket. But I happen to have an American Wagyu brisket in my freezer right now that is waiting it's turn. We shall find out.

Comment

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here. 95% of the briskets I have cooked have been Costco Prime briskets but I do have one from SRF that has been sitting in the freezer for a while. I never want to "waste" the good brisket by cooking it but I need to remind myself I can always get another to replace it.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        JoeSousa and heck, with prime brisket being nearly the same price as black grade SRF, it's not such a stretch to get more

I have my Click brisket waiting too…

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Gonna be excited to hear about that.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        ecowper No kidding. Me too.

Never in my life have I been so disappointed to be asked to cook a chicken dish this weekend but maybe my Click brisket day will come soon. Maybe she will like this Black Friday brisket idea. Still, I am making African chicken so I kicked it up a notch.
        Last edited by STEbbq; November 16, 2021, 06:41 PM.

I've never found the Am. Wagyu brisket to be worth it, Prime is as a good as I want to go. The only steaks I've had were the A5 and SRF filets, which filets are really hard to judge against say an equal grade ribeye, but of course they were outstanding. I'm nervous to shell out for a Wagyu steak as to whether it'll be worth the upcharge.

Comment

I like the chew and texture of dry aged prime. I did a 55 day dry aged American wagyu rib subprimal last year, and still prefer the texture of Prime. The missus...wagyu all the way though.

Comment

I started cooking wagyu briskets from the local HEB a couple of years ago, I rarely do prime now although with prices up prime is definitely a better deal and it always turns out well for me too. But the wagyus that I've done - amazing!

Comment

I just don't get who's paying these prices! I'm not a cheapskate, but damn! Not long ago I could get 3-4 prime ribeyes at Costco for $50-60. Now it's at least $80. So I started looking at the online retailers after the recent happy hour with the SRF lady...$95 for a ribeye!!!! I guess I see more chicken and pork in my future (a first world problem I know) until these greedy effs cool their engines.

Comment

• Santamarina
              Santamarina commented
              Editing a comment
              Costco is where I’ve been buying Prime brisket for 5-6 years (only place I’ve ever bought it!). For most of those years the price was between $2.99-$3.79/lb.

The last year they’ve been well over $5/lb. Still a great deal on Prime beef, but I get sticker shock every time I see an $80-$90 brisket when I’m used to $40-$50.

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              My sentiment too, I went looking for a brisket today on sale at a local chain, $90 plus.
              I just couldn't justify it.
              And it don't start at the farm, beef is becoming like oil, speculators if there beef speculators and I believe there are, are driving prices thru the roof.

• bep35
              bep35 commented
              Editing a comment
              Unfortunately it isn't trickling down to the producers. The packers control the price they pay the ranchers and the price we pay at the store.

I've found Wagyu to be that extra decimal point where you want a truly special occasion - we celebrated my 50th birthday this April. It was me, my wife and 2 boys and we dropped $240 on Wagyu tomahawks. Arguably the best steaks we've ever had and I cooked them on the Weber kettle. Nevertheless, I could spend half that, get prime ribeye that is 90% as good.

Comment

Having cooked a ton of prime and a fair bit of Wagyu as well, I tend to the prime. I usually dry age it myself, as it's pretty easy to do, and my dog goes nuts for the trimmings...lol Having said all that, and this might be sacrilegious to many, for most of my cooks, both are overkill. Remember, a good cook can make consistent food with inconsistent ingredients. Do your best with what you have, not what you wish you had. Just my two pennies.

Greetings from a cold as hell Houston, Alaska

Comment

Nothing wrong with prime, but real wagyu is really on a whole different level. It's so rich and delicious and a little goes a long way.
                Would much rather have prime when I am in the mood to eat a whole big chunk of meat. But wagyu is great for an occasional treat (much more rare since I no longer live in Kobe) and really is worth the price on some level.

Some genuine Kobe rib and tenderloin steaks are shown below for reference.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by gboss; November 17, 2021, 10:05 AM. Reason: Edit: spelling.

Comment

• TripleB
                  TripleB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very nice.

• fracmeister
                  fracmeister commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeh---that "American Wagyu" doesnt look like this!

My Ralph's (Krogers) sells both Prime and SRF Waygu. I only buy them when I find them over in the manager's special section (meat reaching their sell date) and reduced in price. Sometimes 50% off. Both are delicious to me. but it's the discount price that draws me, not the grade. I don't think I've paid full price for a steak, chuck, tri-tip, etc in over 10 years.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice track record! I rarely find sales in-store. When I go there specifically for steak of course it is never on sale. I do stock up on mail-order when there's sales.

• TripleB
                  TripleB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Huskee That's the secret. When you see a good piece of meat, you gotta pick it up (I can't believe I wrote that). I've got a few nice steaks in the freezer (Is that ok to say).

I prefer prime to wagyu. I find wagyu too rich with a soft mouthfeel that I find off-putting. Admittedly, I've had much more prime than wagyu, so I may be rushing to judgement. I'll gladly accept gifts of both to assure I'm not jumping the gun.

Comment

I think the thread has gone a bit off the rails. True wagyu (A5 etc) isn't close to prime. It's FAR more heavily marbled and stupidly expensive.

What the OP was talking about, I think, is prime vs *American* wagyu, i.e. meat that is a cross between wagyu and Angus. The Akaushi Troutman brought up and the stuff from Click talked about in other threads are examples as are the wagyu from SRF, Creekstone etc.

Comment

It kind of depends on the cut for me. For example, I prefer prime or even choice tri tips compared to American Wagyu. For some reason the extra fat in the American Wagyu doesn't have the right mouth feel for me. But for ribeyes I would generally prefer the American Wagyu. And of course you have to factor in the cost difference.

One thing to keep in mind too is that there is a pretty wide variation in the quality of Prime. I have had some amazing prime steaks and some pretty horrible ones (I'm looking at you Costco!!!). But the American Wagyu I have had has consistently been very good and I can't remember ever having one that was sub-par.

Comment

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have never bought even a prime tri-tip, let alone a wagyu one. I buy choice, cook it reverse sear on the HastyBake, and love it. I wonder how I would feel about higher grade Tri-Tip.

• das85
                      das85 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have been experimenting and so far my favorite approach is American wagyu for a relatively lean or tough cut of meat.

For ribeye it almost feels like overkill..

But tri-tip, rump roast, chuckie - have loved the results.

Also "American wagyu" covers a very wide range.. Try from different producers and the tastes can be very different. I learned this first buying from different ranches on crowd cow, have tried several others since. Vermont Wagyu (vermontwagyu.com) prob my favorite now.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here