Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet Aging Frozen Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet Aging Frozen Beef

The local Wild Fork outlet has frozen choice brisket at $3.98 which is a pretty good price these days. ($5.19 for prime). It's sold frozen in cryovac packaging and they claim its been wet aged 17 days. I would hesitate to thaw these and wet age, but I thought I'd ask the Pit.

I think I agree. In fact, I think I'd just leave it frozen until you start getting ready to cook.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I buy from SRF and Creekstone .... It all arrives frozen. I leave it frozen until I'm ready to cook. I never paid attention to whether they said it was "wet brined" before being frozen, though.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper You actually put it in the smoker frozen? How does that affect cook time?

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Murdy Actually, for brisket, I defrost as close to cook day as possible. For pork shoulder, I put it on frozen. Changes cook time by about 30 minutes in my experience.

Here's a frozen pork butt cook that I did: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ozen-pork-butt

Just confirming- you mean aging, not brining as in the title?

I regularly go 60 days, but I have yet to attempt intentional aging after freezing & thawing. I don't see why it would hurt really, but I just haven't. I wouldn't worry much about rushing to smoke it after thawing though, as long as it's in the same un-pierced cryo.

Comment

• johnec00
      johnec00 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, dead brain cells in the title should have said wet aging. I guess it cannot be edited though.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Fixed it! johnec00

I wouldn't worry over minutia. Just thaw and cook. React to the food as you cook it. It will be fine. Trust Uncle Strat.

Comment

Did not have a clue, but now I do, so thanks to all of you.

Comment

I'm with Huskee on this one. If you haven't opened the cryo and it's still intact I don't see any problem thawing and aging it. I just did one for over 100 days in my fridge and it turned out awesome but not sure I would go over 60...didn't see that much difference.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          100?!?! Wow. No luck here with anything past 69.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here