Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nailed it...HA!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nailed it...HA!!

This was my first brisket cook in a long while. Since February 26, 2021 i've been determined to lose a significant amount of weight, which I have now but that just meant I didn't get to eat the foods that I love and the ones that made me so big...HA.
    So here's my first brisket in over a year, this was a 18+ lb Costco prime brisket bought back in July and wet aged over 100 days in my fridge. I would put this one in my top 5 briskets i've ever cooked and maybe even top 3. I cut the brisket in half, right in front of the point, cooked the flat for 6 hours until it hit the stall then pulled, vac sealed it and stuck it in a sous vide water bath. The point took around 16 hours to reach doneness, which was around 202. Even wrapped in butcher paper at the stall it still took that long!!! Anyway, it was after midnight when it finished so I wrapped the entire thing in double foil and an old bath towel and stuck it in the cooler. Around 8am or so I unwrapped it and to my surprise it was still a little warm, so tender and juicy with loads of beef flavor, yea I snuck a small slice......ok it wasn't so small and yes I did count it towards my daily calories...HA. This was so good that I've already bought a replacement and it's in the fridge aging as I write.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1126561 Click image for larger version

Name:	brisket 4.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1126562 Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 2.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1126563 Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 5.jpg
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1126564 Click image for larger version

Name:	brisket 6.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1126565 Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 7.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1126566 Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 8.jpg
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1126567 Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 9.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1126568

It looks great, but remember from where you came. Putting on the weight is a lot easier than taking it off.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      Boy don't I know it!!!...LOL. I ate one small slice of this brisket from the point and called it done. Right now I'm down over 85lbs and hope to never need to do this again!!

Wow! 85#! My brother-in-law has a theory that there is only so much fat in the world, and we just pass it around to each other. I will try to not send my extra 10 to you and don’t let anyone send you theirs.
    Last edited by LA Pork Butt; November 15, 2021, 04:25 PM.

Comment

That slice draped over the knife! Perfection. Dangit. I'm starving now after seeing that and I have one more errand to run...

Comment

Looks wonderful! pellet pooper or smoke vault? Cooking temp? Inquiring minds and all that!

And congrats on the weight loss.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          It was on a camp chef woodwind 36...first brisket on it so i was pretty happy with the cook. Would like a little more smoke flavor but it was ok. Temps were like 6 hours at 200, 4 hours at 250 to push it along then another 6 at 275. That was just for the point. The flat was pulled when it was 175 internal and put in a sous vide bath for 72 hours and was amazing too!!

Nice cook, amigo!! And well done on the lb-shed.

Comment

Brisket looks great.
          Big congratulations on the weight loss.

Comment

FIne looking brisket indeed! I never tried wet aging for any extended period of time. I had no idea you could keep a brisket for 100 days without it spoiling! Do you have to do anything special to wet age it for that long? I suspect this only works for big hunks of meat like a whole brisket?

Comment

This is beautiful. Good job with the brisket and losing weight.

Your knife work is also on point. What knives do you use?

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
                Dadof3Illinois commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you and that’s a dexter slicing knife.

Congrats, on the weight loss. I've battled my weight for decades, lose one gain two.
              Doesn't help I have a sweet tooth and absolutely no will power to speak off.
              Brisket looks spot on, nice job.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
                Dadof3Illinois commented
                Editing a comment
                I how you feel!! Been big all my life, football lineman and heavyweight wrestler. Graduated high school at 265 in 1984 played some jr college ball as an offensive lineman. Left college at 290’ish but I. Decent shape. Fast forward 35 years, 4 kids and a poor diet and welcome 325lbd…😂😂. I got tired of feeling tired because of all the different meds I was on. Now I’m down over 85lbs and feel great….I forgot how good it feels to be healthy…ha.

You said "Nailed it". I concur.
              Good job on the weight loss too.

Comment

Bee-yoo-tee-ful!!!

Comment

Nicely done!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here