Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket

Have a brisket 8.45lb first cut brisket going on a Traeger pellet smoker. It's been on for the past 3hrs at 240-260. I noticed the internal temp has been climbing real quick (already at 150). Not sure if I should drop the temp or just let it ride and wrap at the stall. I've tried brisket several times before but just can't seem nail this cut of meat... Anyone got a suggestion?
    Last edited by jtmack; November 14, 2021, 10:26 AM.

Let her ride and get some bark.

Comment

It’s normal for the temp to rise that fast, don’t worry about it. I’d wait to wrap until you’re happy with how the bark looks.

Comment

Thanks, Wrapped it up tight with some beef broth once it 158 internal at the stall.It got a little darker (than the picture below) and shrunk up before I wrapping it but was just concerned it not getting that deep dark color. I guess all I have to do is let it ride until 198-203 and check. Anything else you would suggest?
        Attached Files

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't worry too much about finished temp, probe tender is when it's done. And let it rest in a cambro for at least 2 hours.

Thanks..Hopefully I can get the upper hand on this cut of meat. Just probed it and still a little tough going in with the thermapen. I know it depends on a bunch of things but I've never had a brisket finish cooking under 8hrs. The smoker held temperature pretty consistently between 240-250. Definitely going to let her sit in a cambro for awhile.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          If it is still a bit tough, let it cook some more.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          You'll be fine, just let it ride until that probe slides in like it's a cube 'o warm buttah!

First, Traeger pellet grill, you done good.
        Traeger's website has good recipes to use as a guide. Recipes are not cut in stone. https://www.traeger.com/search?term=brisket smoked
        My suggestion, don't be impatient! Don't be like me. Smoke it until it is done, good and tender done.
        The expression "If you're looking you're not cooking" is a truism that applies more to the cook being impatient. That is me.
        Just remember You Can't Hurry Ribs, https://amazingribs.com/wp-content/u...ribs-2.8mb.mp3

Comment

It is unclear how your cook turned out, but one thing I noticed is that you inserted the meat probe into the top of the meat. This could lead to a very misleading indication of the IT. For briskets, inserting a probe horizontally from the side of the flat (assuming you only have 1 to insert) would provide a much more accurate IT reading. Of course, using the thermapen and probing in several places should give a very good indication of the IT.

I haven't smoked a brisket on my MAK in a while, but my last full packer (about 11-12 lbs after trimming) cooked in 7 hours with virtually no stall (250* cook temp). I was startled, but have since learned each brisket is its own beast. I have done a number of just flats since, a couple very good and a couple became chili/stew fodder.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here