Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib Cooking Time Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, this wouldn't work with my oven, which self vents and cools itself off

• Santamarina
    replied
    Looked through my notes from the original Meathead recipe…says ~30 mins per inch of thickness, plus ~20 mins for sear.

Of course, Temp is the final judge.

Leave a comment:

• Bbqmikeg
    commented on 's reply
    If you have a fancy oven it may have a self venting mode. A friend of mine didn’t know her oven did that and wrecked her roast. This method works great with normal ovens.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    replied
    Smoke, sous vide, then sear. No muss, no fuss, work on the rest of the stuff.

Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; November 14, 2021, 12:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WillTravelForFood
    replied
    For a prime rib roast (in the oven), we've used variations on this recipe with success. From a NYTimes cooking article from the 60's, supposedly:
    • Get roast to room temperature (so, sit it on the counter for maybe 2-3 hours???)
    • get oven to 500 degrees. Meanwhile, salt+pepper the roast. Tie it up so it looks pretty in the roasting pan, fat side up. Insert your favorite probe thermometer.
    • put roast in the oven and CLOSE THE DOOR
    • crack open your favorite frosty beverage, turn on the game.
    • After XXXXXX minutes, turn the oven off. KEEP THE DOOR CLOSED
    • After two more hours of KEEPING THE DOOR CLOSED, you should be able to finally open the oven door, pull out the roast and serve relatively immediately.
    Did I mention that the oven door needs to stay closed the entire time? Apparently, this is important.

The XXXXXXX timing for the 500 degree cook is "the weight of the roast in pounds, multiplied by 5.

example: a 4lb roast would be at 500 degrees for 20m before the oven gets turned off.

We've also done the salt-encrusted/dome rib roast. My golly, that requires a ton of salt and egg wash - was fun to make.... once.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    One thing Eric said that important is tying the roast into some form of tubular shape. That allows for uniform cooking and better shot at predicting when the roast will be done.

And roux is certainly a classic way to thicken but I’ve found a corn starch slurry to be much easier and just as effective.

• Jimmy Vee
    replied
    Great Feedback everyone. Thank you. it ran 30 minutes per inch. Elevation: 2000 feet. Outdoor temperature 48 degrees. Internal fished temperature: 133 degrees.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    No, Eric, he's saying dinner's at his house.

• jlazar
    commented on 's reply
    For medium rare. At 225, estimate about 30 minutes per inch in diameter plus 20 minutes max to sear at the end of the cook (5 minutes of sear on each of the four sides). That means for a 4" diameter roast, should take about 2.5 hours of indirect cooking, plus about 20 minutes searing over direct heat. Expect the temp to go up another 5 degrees while resting for 10-15 minutes. Up even higher if cooked at above 250-275.

• jlazar
    commented on 's reply
    Read his excellent tutorial on prime rib if you haven't already. It will give you a good understanding of what to expect and will help you plan.

jlazar asked me to write some words about prime rib roasts. There are a lot of tutorials around the ‘net, and Meathead has written about them to good effect, so I’ll try to simplify the instructions, and provide some insight. For most people, the biggest issue is fear; fear of spending a lot of money on a meal that is
    Last edited by jlazar; November 13, 2021, 08:47 PM.

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    So you’re saying don’t front sear?

• ddmcwhirter
    replied
    My experience: I had a twenty pound full choice rib roast, cut the ribs off with meat on them, in dry brining it got down to about 34 degrees...the plan...to sear it ice cold on my flat iron solid steel grill, placed directly over the fire box...sear was spectacular, the rub and meat was seared....the smeared the gooey greasy seasoning mix all over it. Smoking at about 275. It took about four hours to get back to "room temperature." That was surprising! Dinner was a bit late...but, I got the perfect 130F roast from 1/8 inch (maybe a quarter) to the middle.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    I’ve been known to use the potato water, too :-)

• Caffeine88
    commented on 's reply
    Roux. I also hate chunky gravy, so I do a roux with about 3T butter and 3 more flour in a separate skillet. I'll add more butter as needed so it isn't thick, and the cook till golden brown. Only add in small amounts and whisk in thoroughly till you have it just as thick as you like.

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    While it is resting, you pull the gravy pan, strain out the solids, get the gravy on the stove and reduce/thicken it a bit. I don’t like gloppy, thick gravy, so I don’t add starch or flour.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here