Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib Cooking Time Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    Avoiding upset wife and hangry guests is a good plan on a holiday ;-)

• Caffeine88
    commented on 's reply
    This is pretty the same method and time line I've used. Planning for a little fudge factor to rest if it's done early goes a long ways toward avoiding angry wife when all her stuff is done and mine isn't!

• ecowper
    replied
    My general experience is that it takes 2.5 hours to get a 5 lb prime rib to 125 internal temp. But, you have to do it the same way every time for that to be true. So, here’s what I do
    • I buy a good choice rib roast at costco
    • I remove the bones and chine
    • Trim and get rid of all the excessive fat cap
    • Tie into a 4” thick "tube" of meat
    • Dry brine 24 hours prior to cooking
    • Get my cooker (typically the Hasty-Bake) to 240F +/- on the indirect zone
    • Put a pan of gravy fixings underneath the grate
    • Put the roast on the grate
    • Close the lid and monitor with FireBoard
    • At 125F, I pull, get the direct zone roaring, and then sear
    • I bring in the house, let it rest for a few minutes, then slice
    • the middle will be 135-140, the ends will be 145-150

Getting to 125F is about 2.5 hours. However, I went and check my cook logs and that varied from as little as 2 hours 15 minutes to as much as 3 hours 5 minutes. So take that with a grain of salt.

If my roast is bigger, I add 15 minutes to my estimate. I also leave a 30 minute buffer, knowing that sometimes it will take 3 hours, not 2.5 to hit that internal temp. The searing takes 10 minutes. The rest and carving takes 10 minutes. All in, for a 5 lb rib roast, I estimate 3 hours from putting it on to serving. With the cook’s buffer, that equals starting my roast 3.5 hours before I want to serve it. If I’m done a bit earlier, I hold the roast in a 170F oven for 20 minutes.
    Last edited by ecowper; November 13, 2021, 01:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    Some of these links might help, but it will depend on temp etc. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=prime+rib+...d&t=osx&ia=web

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    I think what they're looking for, though, is some way to estimate time so they can plan the day. If you're doing a party/holiday thing and tell people dinner will be at, say, 3pm you want it done by then but not done 3 hours early.

• Murdy
    replied
    To further complicate matters, after a certain point, you don't add time for weight, because they just get longer, not thicker.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    That really is a good and often asked question. Too bad, there is no definitive answer.
    But an internet search yields, Oven Roasting Time Guidelines (beefitswhatsfordinner.com)

The example for no definitive answer, 3-2-1 Ribs. This systematic approach to BBQ may produce editable ribs. The results will vary from one cook to another.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; November 13, 2021, 10:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    Ditto

• Mosca
    replied
    I understand your question perfectly: it isn’t done time you’re after, but approximately when to start it! That’s planning for when to tell guests to arrive, planning hors d’oeuvres, planning the timing of the sides, etc.

Honestly, even though I wrote a tutorial on prime rib, for the life of me I couldn’t tell you the answer. Every single time I do a rib roast I look on the internet for that answer, but there are too many variables: roast size, meat quality, big end or small end, starting temp, oven accuracy, etc etc etc. In the end, the meat does what it does.

The best I can tell you is that if it’s done early, the roast will hold for about an hour. And if it’s done late, the guests will hold for however long it takes. Pick a time that you found on the internet, and be prepared to dance around it.

Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy Vee
    replied
    I have a Thermoworks probe I plan on using. Just trying to guesstimate when it will be done for planning all the rest of the meal. MeatHead used to have it in the article but it got scrubbed. It was a pretty good estimate for dinner planning...pending the probe temp for monitoring and final confirmation.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    I would never cook an expensive hunk o' meat without a leave in thermometer. A Thermoworks Dot will get the job done nicely if ya don't have something already...

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    +1

• Rob whatever
    replied
    Too many factors to fill in the blanks with anything meaningful. Weight, volume, temp all vary too much. I would recommend roasting to your desired temp (less carryover).

rob

Leave a comment:

• lemayp
    replied
    Here's the article. I didn't see a time guidance in it at quick glance though https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...r-beef-roasts/

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy Vee
    started a topic Prime Rib Cooking Time Question

Prime Rib Cooking Time Question

I remember a rule of thumb for estimating the cooking time for prime rib....XXX minutes per XXX inch of thickness. Cannot find it in the recipes. Does anyone remember what it is for medium rare???
    Last edited by Jimmy Vee; November 13, 2021, 08:55 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here