Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips for first picanha cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tips for first picanha cook?

Got a picanha from Wild Fork. I plan to cook it tomorrow but figured I'd check for any tips. I haven't decided yet whether to cut steaks or do it as a single piece and then carve which is my natural inclination with something that looks like this. I've got a Pit Barrel and a Weber with SnS and can use either. Probably dry brine it overnight and then was thinking about a basic SPG rub before cooking. But the question of whether to cut it for steaks or keep it whole also comes into play when dry brining. What do you folks think?

Thanks in advance!

I cut into steaks and dry brine over nite,,,,
    indirect and then sear,,,,,
    one of my favs

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	65F44AB8-9DCD-4F39-ABB1-D25B660A4FE1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.78 MB ID:	1125037 Click image for larger version  Name:	423857CF-AB31-4F0C-A23C-F58552B772E9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.83 MB ID:	1125038 Click image for larger version  Name:	778345D3-09E8-4603-BE4B-E70A4BD7069F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	1125036 I did one from WF a few months ago. Cut it into steaks and did it on the Weber kettle rotisserie. Tried to simulate the Brazilian steak house thing. Turned out terrific.

Comment

Jfrosty, that looks amazing! I don't have the rotisserie so I'll hand flip but you guys both say that steaks are the way to go so I'll do that. Really looking forward to it and will let you know how it does. Thanks guys!

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          I skewer and hand flip works fine

My favorite method is similar to Jfrosty27 , but I cook them over an oak fire in my Santa Maria grill.

Comment

Same here as Jfrosty27 cut into strips and skewer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2244.jpeg
Views:	477
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	1125067 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2251.jpeg
Views:	478
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	1125066 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2254.jpeg
Views:	480
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	1125065

Comment

I have used the PBC hanging skewers. Sliced across the grain with liberal salt then serve sliced off the skewer Brazilian steakhouse stye. First slice for those that prefer more well done, internal slices more rare. You can probably get the same effect with skewers on a kettle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	skewered.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.5 KB ID:	1125142

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sliced.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.0 KB ID:	1125143

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              PBC, PBC, PBC!

Done similar to a roast can work, but as the consensus seems to indicate, cut it into "steaks". Gives a better chance for the salt to penetrate more of the fibers, and more surface area to attach smoke flavor. Hang 'em if ya got 'em...........

Name:	picanha bronco 03.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1125233

Comment

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice, Can't do that in my pellet grill.

The classical gaucho way is cut into steaks with a sprinkling of salt. I enjoy that but I actually prefer to cook one as you would a rib roast. Fairly easy to hit your ideal temp while getting a great sear. Also less hassle of having to cut steaks, skewer and flip. Either way, Picanha is our very favorite cut of beef. Good luck 👍

Name:	7A8E1509-22FB-4CAC-9315-F5ED0021F524.jpeg
Views:	483
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1125235

Comment

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Love the smoke "ring" in the center, but not in the edges.
              Not sure how you did that, but looks PBR Good to ME.

I leave it as a roast and use a reverse sear. Dry brine overnight with just a dalmation rub. Into the RecTec and smoke at 250* to an internal temperature of 110* (looking for rare in the finished product) and then sear on the gas grill. A 4.4 Picanha from SRF took 1.5 hours in the smoker and 5 minutes to sear. Picanha and dinosaur beef ribs are my favorite things to come out of the smoker.

Comment

I like to kiss the steaks with live wood fire and keep them moving. But, never have had bad picanha,

Click image for larger version  Name:	0D4C1585-3E82-41F0-99E1-0853A1E6A2E6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	203.9 KB ID:	1125569
              Last edited by Richard Chrz; November 13, 2021, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Name:	20190813_200540.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	1125612

Name:	20190813_195007.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1125611

Comment

Just wondering, I've never seen picanha in a grocery store or on a restaurant menu. I assume all American cows have them. What do they do with them? I know you can get them online, and maybe from a butcher if you ask, but they must do something else with most of them. Hope that's not a dumb question.

Comment

• ssandy_561
                    ssandy_561 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The grocery store I frequent labels them as Brazilian Roasts.

• wrgilb
                    wrgilb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's top sirloin cap. Some stores will sell whole top sirloin steaks, which includes both the cap and the center piece. Costco sells top sirloin cap steaks, but they cut the fat off.

• Murdy
                    Murdy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think they used to get cut into Butt Steaks more, but you don't see those, at least around my area, much these days. I do see the whole sirloins most frequently.

My favorite way for Pichana

Comment

Ours actually label it picanha, but our store also over values them, and then they do other dumb. Stuff, they season in some awful looking rub and sell it for more. Or they score all the fat cap.. just so disturbing to me, to see a meat case where they have chosen your flavor for you… I know it must be what the masses want, or they wouldn’t do it. I do have one in the freezer, I did find one last time that they did nothing too. Paid a. It more for it, but this is such an occasional steak for me. I been tempted to try SV and sear on the roast.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here