Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips for first picanha cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Portugese word picanha roughly translates to English as "steak", or "rump steak". With the recent popularity of Brazilian steakhouses in the US, picanha has become increasingly popular and expensive in the US. Prior, the cut was sold as various sirloin steak cuts, always with most or all of the fat cap removed. Years ago the only way we could get picanha here in Orlando was to go to the local grocery (Publix) and ask the meat cutter to remove the top sirloin cap from the top sirloin primal. He had to be explicitly told to leave the fat cap on, otherwise, he would trim most of it off. Now there is a local ethnic grocery that sells vacuum packed picanha's as picanha, and Publix sells them labeled as both picanha and top sirloin cap, also vacuum packed.
    Last edited by johnec00; November 14, 2021, 01:33 PM.

Comment

OK, I made that first picanha last night after slicing and dry brining on a rack in the fridge for 24 hours. Added a light covering of a simple P&G rub right before cooking. Wound up doing it on the Weber, set up for a 2-zone cook with a few big chunks of cherry. Fire was hotter than necessary and it cooked fast. Brought it up to 113' on the indirect side, flipping twice, before moving it over to the direct side to get the final sear. Whole thing took no more than 20 minutes, maybe less.

Knocked me out! There was a nutty flavor that surprised me and almost a bit of bacon-y flavor to the smoke. Overall, though, just a BIG BEEFY flavor that I couldn't get enough of. Wife made a side of ratatouille which worked nicely. If I had a complaint it was that it turned out tougher than expected. I suspect that was my fault as I probably misread the grain when I cut the slices. But the flavor easily overcame that problem. This now goes along with plate ribs as my favorite cuts of beef. I see many more picanhas in my future!

Thanks to everybody here who chipped in with suggestions and support. This place is great.
      Last edited by Bathgate; November 15, 2021, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here