Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef back ribs: Membrane on or off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef back ribs: Membrane on or off?

Hi folks, first question to the group after my intro post

Got a rack of beef back ribs for smoking tomorrow, and I see conflicting advice out there on the Interwebs on whether to remove the membrane from the bones. A number of people have written to leave it on because it helps hold the rack together given how little top meat is typically present. Others do the removal as one would with pork ribs. The "leave it on" approach also suggests it's easy to deal with at serving time.

Pros and cons? Thanks!

Dave in Alexandria

Personally, I love it. I had it on with my beef rib tacos last night. However, it can be a little chewy and some people really do not like it. I guess it comes down to personal preference. Sometimes you need to do your own "research" Do one rack with it and one with out. And see what you like better.

It does help to hold the rack together, but honestly, I would not say that it really matters all that much.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Great minds

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      ditto

I'd leave it on, since on the bone side it won't affect eating it and it will help hold it all together. It's not quite the same as with pork ribs where you want to remove it. My advice- do half with it removed and half left on, and you decide! Definitely trim all the fat & silver skin from the tops.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      What he said. .

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto

I always leave it on. The one and only time I took the membrane off before cooking, the meat fell off the bones and hit the deck when I was moving the rack off of the grill. Since then the membrane stays on.

Comment

Besides, saying membrane is fun. So leave it on so you can say the word more!

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Let us not forget cockfighting.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        My cousin is married to a man whose last name is Pincock …. Family reunions get interesting ….

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        DaveD you’re gonna fit in just fine!

I couldn't agree more that one should pass up no opportunity to use the word "membrane", whether insane or not. Ditto for "wainscotting", but that is an entirely separate conversation.

Membrane stays on!

Which leads to an ancillary question: Should I salt that side? I'm dry-brining the other side as we speak. Will the salt get through the membrane the way it does through poultry skin?
      Last edited by DaveD; November 12, 2021, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I would salt both sides. It may or may not get through the MEMBRANE, but you might as well season it up if you are going to be eating it, right?

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Salt=good, and salt=dirt cheap, so my vote too is salt it, even if you think you won't eat that side.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        And I agree, wainscotting is a fun nonsensical word for what it actually means.

Safeway near 7 corners used to have slabs of beef ribs frozen. I wish the still did as I just LOVE beef ribs.

As far as the membrane, I would leave it on as I do for pork (I am a lazy cook LOL)!

Comment

Leave it on. They will fall apart otherwise.

Comment

Leave On is Best.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	88E3EC51-2890-4AB5-A7CF-63FE7DEE9F83.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1125243

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              I tell people, you have 3 choices: Frozen, The Beatles or The Eagles.

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Listen to words of wisdom
              Let it grill, let it grill

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
            Leave On is Best.
            So was Levon... Helm that is

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              No argument here, Brother!

Had a peppy little cold front barrel through overnight and this morning, with rain showers pushing my fire-up time by about an hour... but they're in at 225F, membrane and all

PS, I noticed a couple patches of insufficient rub, got that fixed before I closed 'er up.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by DaveD; November 13, 2021, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveD_SpaceBBQ View Post
              Had a peppy little cold front barrel through overnight and this morning, with rain showers pushing my fire-up time by about an hour... but they're in at 225F, membrane and all

PS, I noticed a couple patches of insufficient rub, got that fixed before I closed 'er up.
              Awaiting a report on the final results!

Comment

On. Just read Meathead cookbook/bible and he said on.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Okay, but where is the link for the quote?
                  You don't think I am smart enough to find it myself, do you?

• DaveD
                  DaveD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you go to this link and scroll down to step 1 of the recipe, you see Meathead's admonition to leave the membrane on -- which I had already read, to be clear, was just wondering about the conflicting advice out there.

Create delicious Brontosaurus sized beef ribs at home with this tested smoked Texas beef rib recipe. Whether it is meaty beef short ribs or the more flavorful beef back ribs, the key to successfully replicating this Texas BBQ classic is cooking them low and slow over live fire with just the perfect touch of smoke.

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  DaveD Thanks, I followed the link, now I remember reading that.

They came out so great! Best beef ribs either my wife or I have ever tasted. Gonna post in the SUWYC thread raht now.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Puts a smile on my face to see SWMBO eating "Bone of My Bones".

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here