Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 Way Japanese A5 Wagyu Taste Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Way Japanese A5 Wagyu Taste Test

I got three different Japanese A5 Wagyu steaks from three different sources and decided to give them a side by side by side taste test.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Joe's Deadly-Good Steak_8.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	504.2 KB
ID:	1122461

Left to right: Kagoshima A5 Ribeye from Costco, Miyazaki A5 Ribeye from Crowd Cow, and a Kagoshima A5 Ribeye from The Meatery. These were probably all in the BMS 9 range so not the crazy BMS 12 stuff you see from time to time.

I cooked them up on the stove searing them over medium high heat. Took about 5 or so minutes to get them cooked and I flipped them multiple times during the cooking process:

Name:	Joe's Deadly-Good Steak_133.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	1122462

They might have gotten every so slightly higher in internal temp than I wanted. I was shooting for 125-130 and these ended up around 135. I know some people who like their A5 at 150-160 but I just don't have the guts to do that at the risk of ruining it.

They all had a great sear on them when they were done cooking.

Name:	Joe's Deadly-Good Steak_241.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	1122463

Overall the Costco steak was a bit flat in terms of flavor and texture compared to the other two. The Kagoshima steak from The Meatery probably had the best overall flavor and texture but the Crowd Cow steak was excellent as well. I thought the steak from The Meatery was a bit beefier tasting So if you are looking for some great A5 I would probably skip the stuff from Costco and spend a bit more on something else. The Costco steak was $100 and the other two were around $150-170 each.

Last November I had some other A5 Wagyu from Pursuit Farms that was a step up from these steaks but then you are getting into the $200-250 per steak range. There is definitely a difference in flavor and texture between the different brands of Wagyu so try a few different ones and see which one you like.

Do any of you have a favorite brand of Wagyu that you like?

Here is a video of the whole cooking process as well if you want to see that:

And a "funny" story... my friend who came over to shoot the photos of this cook was eating the steaks and trying them for the first time. His eyes started to roll back in his head and I was thinking he was just like "Oh my goodness, these are amazing". But then his eyes kept rolling and he passed out and fell off his chair and almost cracked his head on the fireplace hearth. Had to take an ambulance ride to the hospital just to make sure he was OK. So these steaks can be good enough to make you pass out!

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad he is OK

I think everything looks amazing and I would like to be invited to your next party. I understand my invitation was lost in the mail this time.

I guess I’d be interested in your opinion of this Akaushi beef versus your A5.

Comment

Thanks for taking one, (or three), for the team.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here