Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best beef for stew beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best beef for stew beef

Making a huge pot of brunswick stew and recipe calls for 15 pounds of stew beef. Meat to be cooked and shredded then added to the pot of stew with vegetables, etc.. I am thinking I will buy chuck roast to cook. Will this be the best way to go?

Yes, Chuck makes excellent stew meat if treated properly.

Comment

Yep, chuck.

Comment

Chuck is pretty pricey right now. 15 pounds? Chuck was on "sale" at $5.99/lb this week at my local grocery. Expensive stew. But having said that, I don’t have a better suggestion. That’s the right cut for the best result.

Comment

Smoke several chuckies'd be my answer, as well... Silver Select on sale here, this week, @4.99/lb.

Expensive? Well. $1 more than a year ago, yes...only yerself can decide what's affordable / doable, given yer situation, an needs. Top round? Bottom round? Manager's Special, have ya checked there? It's All gonna be good, Brother...

I regularly see 'Stew Meat' advertised at $4.99-$6.99 / lb, unk origin, so, to me, knowin th consistent flavour of th chuck, @$4,99, that'd be my choice

An, it's all gonna be YOU!

Comment

Chuck might be $5-7/lb but... there's not a lot of good options. top and bottom round are too lean. Brisket might work but it's not a lot cheaper than chuck here.

Thing is, you want something with marbling to add that unctuous mouthfeel and really there aren't many cuts that give you beefy flavor and a reasonable amount of fat. Short ribs etc are $$. Super lean cuts are going to toughen up. So, for me at least, it's chuck.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Chuckin A, Every Time

I'd go with chuck also, but are ya gonna smoke it? That will add another level of goodness...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Hopin he does, seems a helluva waste of time, an resources, otherwise...

Make mine American Wagyu Chuck

Comment

I'm a fan of shin beef, if it is available, I request it from my butcher.
              Sensational with some smoke rolled over it for a few hours & then braised to fall apart in any beef dish

Comment

Chuck. I smoke it before making stew. There are pics of my stew in previous posts in " Show us what you're cooking"

Comment

I know and agree with the reasons to use chuck, but arm roast is also good when cooked as a pot roast or in a stew. Sometimes it can be a little cheaper than chuck as well.

(I've even used arm roast to make pastrami. Turned out good.)

Comment

Chuck makes wonderful stew. Round, is a bit touchy, as it goes from tender to dissolving in pretty short order: but works OK. As IowaGirl pointed out, arm roast is also good, if available in your area. Flap, lifter meat, etc., are all good too. Just get the gnarliest, most gristly piece of meat you can. Yes, you must cook it longer, but the result is superior. Oh, yeah, brisket works real well too, and don't you dare trim off the fat. Trust me on this, as, yes you'll have to skim fat, but the flavor is so darn good. Save the fat. If you chill overnight, the fat you skim can me melted and strained, then chilled for other uses. If you decide to smoke the meat first, smoke it harder than the hubs of hell. Like jerky. This will remove the water and intensify the beef flavor. The smoke and rub flavors are just along for the ride, so to speak.

If I can be of further assistance, feel free to hit me up.

From a frosty Houston, Alaska

Comment

Hormel, Dinty Moore, Armour,
                      Don't dilute Campbell's Veg beef soup works in a pinch. 😁

My first choice is Chuck Roast

Comment

Everybody above me is completely wrong …. Chuck roast!

Comment

• bbqLuv
                          bbqLuv commented
                          Editing a comment
                          ecowper Sorry, the best beef for stew is Chuck Roast.
                          Thank you, Sir.

Short rib

Comment

• bbqLuv
                          bbqLuv commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Great idea and the bones in the short ribs help flavor the Beef stock.
                          But I need to remember to remove the rib bones to avoid getting stuck in the throat. I hate it when that happens.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here