Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero Credit’s Insane Steak Cook-Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zero Credit’s Insane Steak Cook-Off

I was kindly gifted an early Porter Road gift card with the idea that I can do some special holiday meals. I also used a 15% off coupon ( SAVE15 ) and loaded up on some steaks. Between my Click and Porter Road orders I have a lot of steaks.

Denver
    Petite tender
    Sierra
    Flat Iron
    Bavette
    Merlot
    Ribeye (Costco)

I also grabbed some pigskit, skirt steak for carne asada , and hot dogs from PR if you are interested but we’ll save those for another cook. Some beef back ribs and plate ribs are also incoming!

With the exception of the bavette (about 2 pounds) everything is more or less a single portion size.

So, since my research suggests everything is more or less best cooked hot and fast, I thought we should have a grand tasting competition for the best steak.

Dry brine overnight, sous vide all of the cuts in individual bags at say 125 for 90 minutes, remove, dry, season with salt and pepper or Charcrust and sear on kamado on lowered grate until presentation ready ( just keep flipping ) . Mark all bags and use tape to track individual cuts of meat throughout the process!

The bavette may need to be cut to size before sous vide but I suppose that is doable.

The greatest steak competition ever or just insanity?

Well, you may also see a lot of pics of questionable searing attempts but I think I can avoid ruining the meat.

2 lbs of Bavette is a single portion size.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess no worries then!

Perhaps you need to share the wealth, if so I am here to help.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I will share some pics if/when it happens. I guess it sounds like a doable idea.

I’ve done something like this in the past, was fun. With Crowd Cow, I think i used 3-4 different cuts. Side by side, cooked all the same. Was fun to do and learned about what I really like.

Enjoy!

Comment

Well, as events progressed this idea has been shelved.

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        You’ll just have to eat them all yourself. Terrible.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, more like one type at a time!

Actually ended up getting most of the steaks done at once!

The only one that was left out was the Click bavette, so next time, I guess.

There may be colder, darker days ahead as many of us enter winter, but we're all still cookin', right? ...So... Welcome to Show Us What You're Cooking Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022! Here's a link to the past SUWYC (Fall 2021) https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...e-23-fall-2021 (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/food

Comment

Ribeye FTW

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here