Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another First Brisket Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another First Brisket Post

My first brisket attempt is happening soon and I want to make sure the family will let me do it again. I plan to follow a lot of the great info already in The Pit. I have a few questions and was hoping those who have tried can answer.

Kevlar vest is in place in case I start anything 😀

Do I rub with salt and pepper or do I use Lawry’s season salt and pepper? —Video Mad Scientist BBQ- https://youtu.be/WhPD1w_6jL0

I am a fan of garlic and rosemary on beef. Would they add anything good to the flavor of the brisket?

Binder, water, or nothing?

In Franklin’s video, he uses a water pan— https://youtu.be/pGZ39yYxeBk I will be cooking in a Bronco. Should I use a water pan or just let the juices hit the fire and vaporize?

My plan so far-

Trim
    Dry brine or rub the night before
    Pepper -day of cook- if not already rubbed
    Smoke 250º on Bronco w/ hickory chunks
    Adult Beverage
    Wrap
    Adult Beverage
    Rest
    Adult Beverage
    Hold
    Adult Beverage
    Eat
    Adult Beverage

Thanks in advance!

I would not use Lawery's there is a ton of salt in that rub. I love to use this one from Meathead, Big Bad Beef Rub it has some rosemary in it, so that should work out well for you.
    I never use a binder when I am putting rubs on, but if you do, regular old water works fine.

I would not use a water pan, those are for big rigs or smokers with high airflow. Plus you want that fat to hit the fire in your Bronco.

Also check out and review Meathead's article on brisket!

Good luck, sounds like you have a good plan.

Comment

• UncleSpike
      UncleSpike commented
      Editing a comment
      What Spinaker said. You will not go wrong with Big Bad Beef Rub.

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Spinaker that Lawry's does have a lot of salt (maybe because of the smaller granules?) but brisket is a big hunk of meat and can handle it. BUT: since this is your 1st brisket I agree you should pass on using Lawry's this time. Depending on your results and flavor preferences you can decide whether to try Lawry's on a later cook. I would even suggest trying it on a chuck roast before jumping to a brisket.

Seasonings are a matter of personal taste. I do salt and pepper. Doesn't mean I'm right. Just means that is what I like.

There is, however, one glitch in your plan. Towards the end, you left off a critical step. It should be:

Hold
    Adult Beverage
    Slice
    Adult Beverage
    Eat
    Adult Beverage

And proper slicing technique is crucial. You've read the books and watched the videos. Against the grain. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Have fun.

Comment

Everyone's different, I use Sucklebusters Texas 1836 on my briskets mainly because I'm too lazy to mix kosher salt and pepper together and it does contain garlic and onion powder.
      Also use my dry rub too, it contains Rosemary but honestly I've never been able to pick it out when eating.
      I did use a water pan on my BKK but have done without also.
      Wood chunks are personal preference, I used Pecan and Maple last cook. The Maple really shone thru IMHO.
      Completely agree with the adult beverage component of your cook.
      Good luck

Comment

• Clark
        Clark commented
        Editing a comment
        smokin fool I agree with you on SB 1836! Great on any beef, especially briskets.

DTro I just finished a brisket on my Bronco a few weeks ago. It turned out as one of my best ever. I normally just use a salt and pepper rub myself. In the Bronco there is usually no need for a water pan, due to the increased humidity usually found in a barrel cooker. As mentioned above, let the juices sizzle off the deflector plate. Here’s a link to my write up, if you didn’t see it a few weeks ago. About halfway thru you’ll see a detailed description of my experience with time and temps., wrapping etc. Good luck and you got this man!

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...my-best-ever
      Last edited by Panhead John; October 29, 2021, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Brisket has some distinct flavor of its own. I personally don’t think there’s anything wrong with Lawry’s as it’s the base for one of my salted rubs. However, remember it’s mostly salt, so if you go that route and you want a heavily rubbed brisket, you’re going to want to do something more like equal parts Chili Powder, Paprika, Pepper and Lawrys and through some garlic in there too!

However, if you’re planning well ahead, you should probably dry brine and then use a salt free rub. I have an oil spray bottle, so my binder is usually olive oil. I’ve seen a couple rub makers recommend oil rub pastes too to apply their rubs, so figure that qualifies it as a good binder.

Here’s my Lawry’s rub: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-free-versions
        Last edited by glitchy; October 29, 2021, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Great advice so far. Definitely review Meathead's how to on Brisket. I like to think that my own method is a good one to review, as well: Eric's Brisket Method.

This is the rub that I use on things like brisket, chuck roast, beef ribs, etc ..... it's designed espeically for big, really beefy cuts. I was very creative and named it Eric's Beef Rub.
          • 3 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
          • 2 tbsp garlic powder
          • 1 tbsp onion powder
          • 1 tbsp American or Ancho chile powder
          • 1 tbsp granulated sugar (white table sugar)
          • 2 tsp mustard powder

Comment

For me getting a decent prime brisket is a must. One that when I bend it in the store the ends just about touch (pretty scientific huh). Got one from Sam's two weeks ago for $4.32/lb. I dry brine in the fridge overnight with kosher salt and never add a seasoning that contains salt (wife has to watch the salt). I put some oil on it as a binder and season it with Meatheads Big Bad Beef Rub. I put it on the pellet smoker at 220 about midnight the night before (if we are trying to eat around 2-3 pm), wrap when it hits 160-165 (might up the temp to 250-260 depending on time) and pull when it is probe tender (195-205). I take it out of the wrapping and lightly tent for 30-60 minutes, slice against the grain and enjoy....with another adult beverage of course. Have fun with it and don't overthink it....

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 Heard this many times before. Always thought, "how in the hell will a brisket bend like that wrapped in cryovac bag?" until I finally found one that did it. Best brisket tip ever.

Spinaker- Thanks. Skipping Lawry’s on the brisket this time. I have never cooked with it before. I tried a sauté of mushrooms tonight and added a pinch to check the flavor. In moderation, and as a salt substitute, no complaints. No binder either, and will let the juice hit the fire. Good info.

Draznnl- your attention to detail is impeccable. My family ha, they won’t need to slice if it is good enough 😁. But thanks for bringing up the beverage count!

Smokin fool- I have to crush my rosemary powder with a mortar and pestle. You have saved me the time and expense. Looking into 1836 for next time. Thanks!

Panhead John- Going back to re-read your post. I did see it before, great info and it inspired me. It’s one of the reasons I am confident trying to cook a brisket.

glithchy- I am doing the dry brine route because time allows and I am looking at your salt-free rub recipe. Thanks for sharing!

ecopwer- I looked at Meatheads how-to and looked at yours too. Thanks for laying it out so simply and presenting the confidence to cook. I am following your plan as it stands right now. Meathead’s advice, of course, will be followed too.

Redwng- I did get a prime from Costco. But in my neck of the woods, it wasn’t $4.32/ Lb- it was just a buck chuck more. BBB rub seems to be a positive and I appreciate the timing/ wrap info. Am I okay with a foil wrap? Foil is all I have right now

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Here’s my final advice to you …. Have fun!

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Also, you’re fine with foil to wrap, answering that question.

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              And if you are worried about the wrap, skip it! It takes a bit longer, but you always end up with a glorious bark! I can’t remember the last time I wrapped mine.

DTro One thing I wanted to mention about the IT on your brisket. Since it’s a PRIME brisket, a lot of folks here have mentioned that they’re usually done before it reaches 200*-203* or so. I’d forgot about that and took mine off at 203*. Not a huge deal because mine still turned out really good. Several have mentioned to check for probe tenderness around 196*-197*. Apparently Prime is usually done a little bit before choice or select. Just an FYI.

Comment

• DTro
              DTro commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. I can't wait for the PT test. I will probably get excited and start PT at 180º 😂
              Dry brining for the past 26 hours. Hopefully, I won't miss my alarm in the morning to start the fire.

DTro So how did your brisket come out? Don’t leave us hangin’!

Comment

Only one adult beverage between process steps, either you are cooking too fast, drinking too slow, or you need to adjust your plan.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here