Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally found that Costco Prime Brisket I e been hearing about for 5 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally found that Costco Prime Brisket I e been hearing about for 5 years

Click image for larger version  Name:	FFDCB0FF-C9D3-494F-865B-B533E7F38AD2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.34 MB ID:	1116805 Not $3.75/lb any more. Ooph!! $5.49. I mean, don’t get me wrong, it's still cheaper than anywhere else, but, DANG, that’s almost a 50% increase.

Anyway, I picked up a 23 pounder 😂😂😂. I got big plans! Gonna save the point for Thanksgiving and use the flat for meatballs and Birria tacos. Oh yeah!!

PS - saw a Costco in Allentown, PA and thought I’d take a peak. Glad I did.
    Last edited by JCBBQ; October 28, 2021, 08:40 PM.

23 pounds! Dude! Go big or go home!

Enjoy!👍😱🤣

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol. I was exuberant 😂

Welcome to the 90’s ! Enjoy!

Comment

Birria tacos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes!!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm thinking brisket enchiladas !!

Sweet! Good luck with that one!

I stopped at at Costco last week and found Prime brisket for about $4, and Choice for $6....I'd sure love to know why the good one is less....

Comment

• Caffeine88
        Caffeine88 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks HawkerXP - that makes explains it. I need to improve my brisket knowledge :-)

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't waste the fat trimmings, render it and make tallow in the smoker.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Some Costcos & Sam's will have both Prime & Choice packers, and others will have packers & flats-only. The flats-only are always more per/lb, for the "convenience" of them having trimmed it for you. I call foul on that unless it's all there is.

Nice! Costco prime briskets in my area are the best. 13 to 15 pounders fly off the shelves. Lots of larger ones available but lots of trimming required (beef tallow).

Comment

Still have never come across them in NY costcos, only flats. Sam’s Club on the other hand does at times have full packers, sometimes even with both prime and choice options. Last week picked up a prime and think it was around $5/lb

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I’m in NJ and the Costcos here don’t carry packers either.

I will be interested in hearing how it compares to cooking - choice or select whichever you have experience with.

Comment

Sure. Just go ahead and do this without me. 😁
          Congrats on the score Eric.
          Or is it "k" I never remember 🤦🏼

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            If I thought I’d be in north Jersey anytime soon I’d have grabbed you one. Still living in Bucks Co PA waiting for the renovations to my house in JC.

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang JC. Didn’t know you were going through a reno.
            Just got done with one myself. Kitchen, bath and living room. Not a complete gut job but I big makeover.

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. Supposed to be back in the house a month ago. Way behind schedule 😡🤬

Nice! Time to fire up that KBQ, brother!

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Soon. ✅✅✅

I picked up two 12# briskets from Sam's in Orlando two weeks ago for $4.32/lb. First one was fantastic!

Comment

Thankfully, our local Costco has had the prime packers every time we have made our monthly trip. Picked up a 15 pounder last Sunday, $5.99/lb in this here neck of the woods.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s what packers are up here near Seattle, too

I am smoking a 13 lb Costco whole prime brisket tomorrow. The price was $5.49 / lb. I trimmed it today and will inject it this evening.

Has anyone use beef tallow as a binder for the rub?

Comment

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              That seems like overkill for something that is typically Mayo or mustard or water. If you are determined to use the tallow, maybe try it on the brisket when you have wrapped it.

The funny thing is I can find prime full packers but not select. I was wanting to do a test between the two but can't find the lower quality anywhere...HA!!

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              A Choice & Prime test is fun. I cannot tell the difference in flats at all (heck, even with Wagyu), and even points is hard to tell, IMO. Choice is a great grade of brisket if you know how to cook one.

• Dadof3Illinois
              Dadof3Illinois commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee I think it may have been you that talked about wet aging these awhile ago?

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I have experimented with wet aging and I'm a fan. Found that 60 days-ish is my preference. I've gone 70 and had funky smells and at 80 spoilage, so I recommend 30-60 to most who ask. I've also cooked right after buying, still good but a good wet age is better!

I trimmed the massive brisket and, unfortunately, tossed the fat as I'm not at home and don't have all my do-dads to store etc. My first impression is that the Prime Packer is quite a bit "bendy-er" than other briskets I've handled. That seems like a real good sign. Also, I removed the point from the flat and used 2ish lbs of flat for some meatballs. This flat is waaaay more marbled than any other brisket I've seen personally. I'll give a taste review after I cook the point for Thanksgiving. All in all, I'm very happy with it so far.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here