Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri tip over live fire - best technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rickgregory
    replied
    Indirect then direct is the right approach, but remember that a trip tip varies in thickness, so you'll have some bits that are more done than others. You can play with this by doing the whole thing over direct, then moving the thinner part off the direct heat and leaving the thicker part over the coals, etc. Or, if people like varying degrees of doneness, just ignore that.

Leave a comment:

• Wedunne
    commented on 's reply
    +1 on the board sauce. It goes really well with tri tip.

• TripleB
    replied
    Easy peasy. Front sear over a hot fire until you get the caramelization (crust) you desire. Mopping it occasionally does not hurt. Once you get the crust you want, move it over to the indirect side and finish cooking to your desired doneness. Don't forget that once the TT plumps up, you'll have a third side.

Rear sear works too, but the crust is where all the flavor is and that is what you want to develop.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    replied
    I cook Tri-Tip regularly on the Hasty-Bake. M36 design is similar, in many ways, to the Hasty-Bake. What I do is setup my firebox and get the indirect side of the HB up to about 300F, give or take. Then cook the meat on the indirect side to about 118, give or take. Pull it, crank the heat on the direct side, and when it's blazing, put the Tri-Tip on direct. I flip it about every 60 seconds until it gets the right Maillard reaction. Pull again, let it rest 5 minutes or so, then carve against the grain into 1/4" thick slices.

If you want to be more traditional, then you would cook direct the entire time, but you would raise and lower your fire to keep from burning the outside while you are getting it up to a good internal temp.

Leave a comment:

• Caffeine88
    commented on 's reply
    More specifically - I only turn it once when getting it up to 115, and then watch it like a hawk while searing. I rotate ever 45-60 sec, and try to get the sear as even as I can. On the SM, I keep it on one side away from the fire and 6"-12" up depending on how hot it is. For briquettes, I'm trying to keep the internal temp on the Weber with a lid on below 300 and the meat off the direct side.

• Caffeine88
    replied
    I've had excellent luck with a Santa maria over really hot lump charcoal, as well as a standard reverse sear approach over briquettes. Keep it high enough that it gets a bit of smoke, but far enough away that it takes 20-30 min to reach 115 internal. Then drop it down or move over to hit it with some heat and sear it to reach 130F internal. It'll coast a bit, since this is not a very big piece of meat. Give it 5 or 10 to rest, then slice pretty thin across the grain. The most recent one I hit with kosher salt about 2 hrs ahead, then rubbed with equal parts garlic power, black pepper, and sweet/spicy paprika. I've been a real fan of topping with EVOO and herb/fresh pepper board sauce when serving.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• pkadare
    replied
    how to cook tri tip on a santa maria grill - Google Search

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    replied
    I've only don tri tip once and was saved by the boyz on here from ruining it.
    Search will be your friend here, I'm sure Troutman has probably posted a sticky on tri tip prep and cooking on here somewhere.
    If I remember correctly it was indirect cooking to start and a really good hot sear to finish.
    Its not a really long cook, I think you cook to an inside temp of no more than 130.
    Not a lot of good info from me, the real cooks on this site should chime in soon.

Leave a comment:

• Rob whatever
    started a topic Tri tip over live fire - best technique?

Tri tip over live fire - best technique?

I plan on cooking a tri tip over live fire with splits on my M36 this weekend. Any thoughts on how to best do this? The m36 has the ability to lower or raise the fire, which I’m told is necessary for this method. I’m interesting in any thoughts how cook the meat - how close to the fire? How often to turn? Start with a sear or finish with a sear?

any tips are appreciated.

rob

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here