Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanger steak, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hanger steak, anyone?

I'm new at the site, and haven't mastered the search system, but I'm not finding any discussion of hanger steak. It's my favorite item on the menu at the only place I usually order steak (The Classics, just outside DC in Silver Spring, MD) - and I'd like to give it a shot on my PK Grill.

Anyone wise in the ways of hanger steak on the grill? Willing to wise me up? Recipes? Techniques? Cautionary tales?

Love hanger steak. I usually do it from Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles recipe, but I've grilled it, too. I've got a bunch of grapevines behind the garage, and I'm going to do the vigneron method this fall.
    Don't take it past medium rare.

Comment

• (Otherguy)
      (Otherguy) commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Jordan - I'll track down the Bourdain recipe and see what might transfer to the PK Grill. And yes ... medium rare is God's country.

(Otherguy), Welcome to the Pit! I am sorry but I have never even heard of a hanger steak! Just hang on I would bet that the Calvalry is on the way! I am going to follow you for a while to see if I can learn something. Good Luck, Dan

Comment

• (Otherguy)
      (Otherguy) commented
      Editing a comment
      It's an excellent cut, usually not too pricey. It's got enormous flavor but is not for those who don't like to chew, if you catch my drift ... I think it'll do well with a slow approach, followed by a sear, but I don't want to risk one without looking around first for others' experience.

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      (Otherguy), Thanks from what you explained I assume it is a Market Cut, a way of high grading the carcus. Like the Flat Iron Steak sounds better than Chuck Steak to the average consumer. Dan

Here's a couple of previous posts from last year touching on them:

Here Pit Boss gives some advice as well as a link to Meathead's Beef Cuts article which talks about them.
    And here's a detailed post from Henrik on Argentinian style hanger steak, with technique and pics.

Please document you endeavors so we can grow our hanger steak resources!

Comment

Ive never heard of these. See you do learn something new everyday.

Comment

Thanks everyone! Having now done a few hanger steaks (sometimes called the "onglet cut") I have an earth-shaking discovery to report: the hangar steak is a steak, and you cook it like one. Period. In my case, that means a reverse sear, using GG's for the finish. I generally add one small chunk of mesquite to the coals during the first (low/slow) phase. And by small, I mean no bigger than a comfy pocket knife. I salt the meat a little while ahead, but not too much. Fresh ground pepper goes on after the cook. Nothing could be simpler, and I'll take a PK grilled hanger steak over any filet mignon or prime rib I've had. Not that I mind a great rib eye one bit, but the hanger just suits my taste and my desire to chew. And then chew a bit more.

Comment

I guess that lets me out I had never heard of hanger stake before ether. But no more teeth than I have left I'll have to stay with an occasional ribeye (less jaw work)

Comment

Great to hear, (Otherguy)! Huskee found my old post, which I still stand by 100%.

The hanger steak (from 'hang' as it holds up the diaphragm) is also called butcher's steak (since the butcher allegedly kept it for himself), or steak onglet (from French).

One thing I don't agree with is the chewiness. The hanger steaks I've made are less chewy than flank steak for example. All you need to watch out for is overcooking it. It should be cooked just like a steak as Otherguy concludes.

Comment

Henrik - I agree with the flank steak comparison - but I see both hanger and flank as somewhat chewier, even at medium rare to rare, than a good ribeye or even a strip. I just really like the firmer "tooth" along with the flavor, which for my money, can't be beat. Hangers have big, beefy flavor.

Comment

(Otherguy) - in some ways the search function here is a bit limited. If you search for "hanger + steak" (don't use the quotes and DO put a space between each word and the "+" symbol, you'll find lots of discussions on the subject.

Comment

• (Otherguy)
                  (Otherguy) commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks!

Where can one buy hanger steak? It is never at Costco or the megamarts.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's because there's so little of it on a cow.

• (Otherguy)
                  (Otherguy) commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I buy mine from a local farmer.

First I ever heard of a hanger steak was in Kenji's Food Lab. He shows how to get the cut & how to cook. From what I read it is not your average & ordinary cut of meat & must be handled in a somewhat definite manner, such as med rare is the only way to serve it.

Comment

• (Otherguy)
                  (Otherguy) commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can believe that. I cook steak to med. rare as a matter of routine, so I may have just lucked out. I frequent a steak house that puts a terrific, house-butchered hanger steak together and that's where my love of the cut came about, but mine, on the PK, reverse seared, is far superior.

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cool!

Originally posted by Otherguy View Post
                It's my favorite item on the menu at the only place I usually order steak (The Classics, just outside DC in Silver Spring, MD) - and I'd like to give it a shot on my PK Grill.
                The Classics! YES! Elliot is the bomb. In DC last year around this time I Ubered from Bethesda to The Classics TWICE. Was going to hit up one of the steak joints in Dupont Circle after The Classics. Alas, I was drawn back. Had the hangar the first night and then the ribeye a couple days later. Should have stuck with the hangar on day two.

Can't wait until I'm back in DC and can return to The Classics. Will probably be there next year staying downtown. It will be well worth the metro ride.

I sat at the bar because I was a single diner. On the second night, Elliot remembered the way I liked my martinis and I got a comp dessert with a Grand Marnier. He then bought me a second GM and he had one for himself. Awesome joint.

Comment

So, I was at the farmers market buying a turkey and went to look for a full prime roast (which they didn't have) The guy in front of me bought a large Hanger steak. We started a conversation and he said it's his favorite cut, cooks it at 450 on the BGE and it is always tender. Has anyone tried Meathead's slow and low reverse sear AND the high heat cook method? I've got one dry brining right now and I'm trying to decide.

Comment

• Borgmano
                    Borgmano commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So I'm not a fan of high heat cooking, but I took the guy from the meat counters advice. 500 degrees. As you can see I didn't get MR tip to tip but it was as tender as most rib eyes I've cooked and more tender than some. It reminded me a lot of rib cap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hangar.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	241936 finish

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here