Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef ribs, how long to dry brine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef ribs, how long to dry brine?

How long is too long to rub beef ribs in advance?

I do mine for about 12-18 hours. Seems to work out great every time. I’m sure others will have varying methods. I look forward to those.

Comment

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      That's about what I do. Rub them some time in the evening, put them on in the morning.

I usually do overnight but up to 2 days if stuff pops up. For pastrami I do 2 days as part of the recipe.

Beyond that, I don’t think there are any additional benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by zero_credit View Post
      I usually do overnight but up to 2 days if stuff pops up. For pastrami I do 2 days as part of the recipe.

Beyond that, I don’t think there are any additional benefits.
      OK cool. I was just worried the extra day might be harmful. Thanks!

Comment

Whatever you do, don't rub 'em the wrong way.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          You made a funny

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          That is funny

Yea overnight does the trick.

Comment

I only do them for a couple of hours before. They seem to come out good

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            That works to when I forget to rub them the night before.

Overnight always works for me. I tend to treat Beef ribs just like I would a brisket. Same rub, cook time, prep and all. The only exception is that I like to trim all the fat off the beef ribs. They are basically like the brisket point in that they have tons of inter muscular fat in them.

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Trim the fat rather than render it out during the cook!?
            Have you not read the book, "The Joy of Grill Cleaning"?

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Trim the surface fat off. Letting it render off leaves the sinew and residual fat on the surface of the meat. The rendering of the fat does not enter the meat or anything like that. It just renders out and runs into your drip pan. Generally, people will trim chunks of fat off when they are eating the meat.......there goes all your rub and smoke. Of course I leave a very thin layer, cause I like it fatty. But I make sure I trim it up well. bbqLuv

How Long is too long to rub beef ribs? I rub them their full length and no more.
          And yes I apply the rub before the cook.

Really, what cut of ribs?
          Chuck Short Ribs
          Plate Short Ribs
          Flanken
          English Cut
          Riblets
          Back Ribs

Is it beer-thirty yet?

Comment

Originally posted by bbqLuv View Post

Really, what cut of ribs?
            Chuck Short Ribs
            Plate Short Ribs
            Flanken
            English Cut
            Riblets
            Back Ribs
            These are Creekstone Prime chuck short ribs. They have had rub on now for about 40 hours. I'll be cooking this afternoon, and will report back on results. Appreciate y'all.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here