Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beware of not curing long enough.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    replied
    Hmm... so I'm looking at this worrying that my Christmas Eve pastrami is going to end up this way. I won't be able to get it into the brine until Friday afternoon at the earliest, possibly Saturday morning.

That didn't look like a very thick cut he had, most of it maybe 1.5", even the thickest part couldn't have been more than 2"? I realize he only cured it for 3 days. I'm banking on the testimonials here to calm my nerves, lol. Meathead's recipes and techniques have never let me down. I'll have 5 full 24-hour cycles to cure, then remove and desalinate overnight and put on the smoker on Christmas Eve. Hope that's enough time...

Leave a comment:

• HorseDoctor
    replied
    Hilarious!!! Almost 40 years ago, my first (impatient) attempt at a home cured ham resulted in a color pattern a lot like that. Some ham & some roast pork. LOL! That was long before anyone posted videos on the web, not that I would have anyway. Epic fail!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    My next pastrami won't be getting steamed, it is getting sous vide after the smoke.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Agreed Kathryn. Just goes to show you how careful you have to be taking BBQ advice on the web. That video had no business getting posted.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Oh man, that's just sad-looking. Can't believe they posted the video anyway.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Originally posted by John View Post
    Wow, heck of a ummmmm smoke ring? yeah smoke ring.

Gas ring man, gas ring...

I had a point look like that when I cooked 4 briskets at 225 in the Pit Barrel. Twas wicked. Had to deliver an hour away.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    Wow, heck of a ummmmm smoke ring? yeah smoke ring.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    He kinda paused like, "what's that bald spot doing in my pastrami?"

Leave a comment:

• oldsteve
    started a topic Beware of not curing long enough.

Beware of not curing long enough.

I ran across this video about making your own pastrami in an e-mail ad I got from All Things Barbecue. (The owner is the mfg'r. of Yoder smokers). I would have been so embarrassed cutting in to the finished product looking like this: http://thesauce.atbbq.com/video-how-...me/#gs.six2GeE

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here