Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Ribs - Looking for Sauce / Dip Recipe/Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Ribs - Looking for Sauce / Dip Recipe/Tips

Hey gang - so I feel like I have my beef rib game pretty well dialed in. Long smoke over post oak, no wrap until resting, spritz after a few hours ever thirty minutes … while I love them as is, I wanted to see if this group had some good ideas for a complementary dipping sauce. I think a Kansas style thicker sauce likely too sweet when all I really want is the flavor of the beef to shine through. So am looking for something just to provide a little flavor contrast, I kinda think pickled red onion or shallot with some herbs would be a nice start but would love this erstwhile group’s views !!! TIA !

I wouldn’t sauce day 1. I would however, use a beef gravy if serving with mashed potatoes. I like putting the meat in tortillas for leftovers so a light salsa with fresh jalapeños and onions works well.

Comment

What about a Texas mop sauce?

In Texas the traditional barbecue sauce recipe is usually more like a tomato soup, thin and spicy, it penetrates the meat.

Comment

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        I've made this a few times and really like it with beef.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5C74ACF7-DECC-40BE-9D6F-EA7548E30946.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	573.3 KB ID:	1105123 I usually don’t sauce my beef ribs. However, I have tried this white sauce on a brisket sandwich. It was really good. I could see it as a dipping sauce on the side perhaps.

Comment

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        What's it like? An Alabama white? Or horseradish based? Or what?

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        It's more like an Alabama white with a little more flavor from black pepper, vinegar, and some other stuff I can't remember. Really tasty. In fact, I smoked a pork tenderloin last night and see this as a really good condiment on sliced pork tenderloin sandwiches for lunch today!

kinda think pickled red onion or shallot with some herbs would be a nice start but would love this erstwhile group’s views
      I like this idea. If you want it to be sauce like, sauté the shallots (or not) and then blitz it all in a food processor. I'd play with mustard and Worcestershire as accents, too.

Comment

The beef profile of short ribs is so significant that I really don’t think you need any sauce. But, if you want to try something complimentary, I think the sauce should be big and bold, too. I think I’d do a horseradish sauce and I also think I’d try an Au jus coming from the drippings off the beef ribs themselves.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Havedta Heartilly second any endorsement fer horseradish, pairs so Beautimous with heavy beef cuts....

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd eat Mr. Bones beloved hat if you put horseradish in it, then run like hell for heavy cover! INCOMING!

• Draznnl
          Draznnl commented
          Editing a comment
          A horseradish sauce on the side is an intriguing idea. I have some Dino Ribs in the freezer that I was planning to make without sauce. but maybe if I feel adventurous that evening I'll whip up some horseradish sauce.

I know it is probably sacrilege, but I really like A-1 steak sauce for beef ribs. Not a lot, maybe what you’re calling a dipping sauce.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          If'n it makes ya Happy, then I can perceive no Sacrilege, Amigo...

Personally, tend to likeys 'Heinz 57', a fair bit more...)

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Really? A-1, Sorry it’s a bit of a joke at our house. Everyone in the family knows I don’t allow the stuff on the place. It all started several years ago when a former friend said he needed A-1 for the steak I had just grilled him. It was a gorgeous ribeye with lots of marbling. Heck that’s just on step from asking for ketchup.

Beef Ribs sauce not I do.

Comment

Straight off the smoker no sauce. Leftovers shredded in a sandwich, picked red onions and chipotle Mayo with some melted cheese.

Comment

Chimichurri, a bit heavy on the acid to cut the fattiness of the ribs. Some pickled red onion. Flour tortillas, I'd probably even make the kinda puffy Tex-Mex kind for this. Yeah, I'm there for that.

Comment

My Barrister DEW's Run Molasses Sauce is actually really good on beef. Just saying. That said, I often don't sauce beef ribs, except for back ribs which I treat basically like pork spares.

Comment

Store bought Louisiana hot sauce. Home made would be a red pepper vinegar sauce.

Comment

I recently picked up some of Max Good ‘s Black Swan sauces and was very impressed with the Savory Original with beef ribs I made a week ago. Some of the best store bought sauces I’ve found so far and are very different from your mainstream bbq sauces with bolder/more complex flavors.

Comment

I don't think beef ribs need sauce, but, if you're serving a group of people, some will want it. You've got some good suggestions here. I've done Meathead's Texas Barbecue Juice (available on free site) and like it. It's a thinner sauce. Some guests may not be satisfied with anything but KC style--for them, I'd keep a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's on hand (or some such thing).

Comment

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I keep a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's around because there's always that one guy

Bob Trudnak has a beef sauce out that is awesome on beef ribs and brisket. Not too thick, not too thin, full of flavor while still allowing the beef to be the star.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here