Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History of steak cuts, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History of steak cuts, please?

I've been reading a lot of western novels about life in the West after the Civil War and up to the 1900s.

Everybody.....the marshals, outlaws, cowboys, bankers, gamblers go into cafes and order "steak." They eat the steak and rave about it. Never any mention of cuts or cooking preference.

My question: When and where did different cuts of beef begin to appear?

Comment

Mebbee, just mebbee, the ociffers weren’t ordering steak. They might have juss wanted meat & eggs, then you have bacon & eggs or beans & eggs. I know on the trail they ate a lotta beans. ecowper & fzxdoc told me.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes.
        See Blazing Saddles for beans by the campfire.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        ya mean the movie that made 'mo beans" a favorite sayin around the dinner table?

Yup, and when those cow pokes needed sumthin whilst on the range pokin those dowgies, the prolly juss saunters up atop their Nellie to the nearest drive-thru an ordered a mcmuffin with a hunk o meat &’cheese & egg with one of them hash brown things. Since the had their cup tied to their saddle horn, they got sum black coffee & were very careful cuz it wuz hot & they didn’t want no lawsuit or nuthin, nosirree, not on the range.
      Last edited by FireMan; October 7, 2021, 07:23 PM.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        otherwise known as a trot thru

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here