Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuckie help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuckie help.

I'd like to do a chuck roast so that it turns out like a Sunday dinner roast. Juicy and able to be sliced, not pulled. I have a PBC, and a Weber kettle with a SnS. Ideas please.
    Attached Files

We should prolly get David Parrish to weigh in on this... but I think if you take it to 195-200 you will end up with a nice slicing roast.

Comment

• Munch
      Munch commented
      Editing a comment
      I was going to ask Pit Boss... But he'll just tell me to use the PBC. 😳

Definitely needs 200+, sometimes 205+ to get pull tender.

Comment

Hmmm... Slicing VS Pulling.

I'd cook it to 203° just like a brisket😎.

Just my humble opinion.

Comment

David Parrish here. I will NOT say you have to use the PBC=). (though PBC does a great job) I've made many an awesome chuckies using the SnS. I'd take it up to 203F and let it rest in a Faux Cambro at least 30 minutes. It'll slice real nice. Come back with pics!

Comment

• Munch
          Munch commented
          Editing a comment
          Temp at grate 225? Water in trough? How much coal and which starting method? Seasoning/rub maybe? Thanks.
          Last edited by Munch; September 18, 2015, 09:35 PM.

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Cook it just like a brisket. Low and Slow with Big Bad Beef Rub. Yes to water. A basket full of charcoal should be plenty.

So like this then? http://bbqpitboys.com/recipes/chuck-roast#.Vf4GasT3arU Minus the hand gestures, bad beer and Rusty Texas toothpick of course. 😳

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, them boys need to buy better beer for sure.

David Parrish haha whenI first saw this thread, I thought that this should have just been a PM to you. Your the one usually singing the Chuckie national anthem in the Pit.

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          I do love the Chuck!

Well, I'll try the Pit Boys method with the Pit Boss SnS and hopefully it goes well. Costco has a 2 pack of nice thick Choice chuck roasts for about 25 bucks. How long do you think the cook should take? David Parrish I'll probably cook one and FS pack and freeze the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Munch View Post
          Well, I'll try the Pit Boys method with the Pit Boss SnS and hopefully it goes well. Costco has a 2 pack of nice thick Choice chuck roasts for about 25 bucks. How long do you think the cook should take? David Parrish I'll probably cook one and FS pack and freeze the other.
          Go for the best marbling and BIG uniform sized pieces you can find. Chucks cook faster than brisket, but I'd plan on cooking them 10 to 12 hours just to be safe. Here's our recipe for the SnS: http://www.abcbarbecue.com/#!pulled-...ck-roast/c1482

Comment

Followed the directions to the letter. 12 lit briquets, chimney worth added after 20 minutes with a few pieces of applewood and 1 qt water in trough. Temps hit 225 10 minutes in and stayed between 225 and 233. Foiled at 145 IT and back in until 203 IT. Total cook was 4 Hours 10 minutes. Removed roast and wrapped in 2 folded bath towels in a small box while finishing my sides. Cooked a foil pack of celery root chunks with remaining coals. Water lasted just over 5 hours. Pan juices were greasy and too smokey/bitter to use. Juices in the foil were very good.

Thanks for the help.
            Last edited by Munch; September 20, 2015, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here