Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Liver......Just a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Liver......Just a few questions

I am looking to eat more and more organ meats. I recently picked up some beef livers as they seem to pack the most nutritional value when it comes to livers. I would be open to try any species but right now I think I am just going to stick with beef liver until I get it down. I have always liked chicken livers with onions and teriyaki sauce cooked on the griddle when I would go to our local Hibachi restaurant. That being said, I never really ate it outside of that.

So my question is, how would y'all prepare liver? Would you think it would be better on the grill or in a skillet? Blackstone Griddle or open flame on a grate?

Also, any and all recipes that you would be willing to share would be cool too. I am pretty much open to anything.

I appreciate any input. Thanks folks!

Keep the smoke rollin'!

I keep it simple with beef liver. Lightly flour it then fry In butter to medium in a skillet or on a Blackstone. Yum

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, yes, I am gonna skip the flour, but I will for sure fry in butter. Thanks for the input.

• painter
      painter commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

I use cast iron and keep it simple. Light flour, a little salt and pepper. The biggest thing is to not over cook it! Oh, and don't forget the grilled onions to go with it

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      What internal temp do you cook it too, generally speaking?

• Starsky
      Starsky commented
      Editing a comment
      To tell you the truth I've never checked because it's usually a thin piece. I give it a quick sear on both sides and then do a sample cut to check. if it's still red to pink on the inside I'm happy

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      "Oh, and don't forget the grilled onions to go with it"

Also bacon. Fry the bacon first and then fry the liver in the bacon grease, just like mama used to make it.

We prefer calf liver. Lightly floured and skillet fried. The Mrs. makes a delicious cream gravy in the pan.

Comment

• RichardCullip
      RichardCullip commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker - I vaguely remember as I haven’t had it in over 50 years. My mom is long gone so I can’t ask her. As I recall, it was lightly fried with onions and possibly some bacon involved.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep it's calves liver, light flour then a creamy gravy for me. Was raised on the stuff. I'm really not sure if I ever really had beef liver.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker Like others it's in a hot cast iron pan for me. I like it medium rare (a little pink in the middle) so I'd guess somewhere around 135*F IT. I also add slices of onion to cook with the liver. When done remove, de-glaze the pan with a little white wine then add your flour. When it forms a roux begin to add some warmed milk (or half and half) to form a thickened gravy. Salt and pepper to taste. Nestle the liver back in the pan, coat with the gravy, heat for a few minutes then serve.

Don't eat it. Go bury it in the backyard, NOW. That's my answer to beef liver!

My grandmother loved liver and onions, and as a kid, I got drug to a Morrison's cafeteria on many Thursdays with my grandmother and mother because that was the day they had liver and onions. I never saw her make it at home, which is great because just the aroma made me gag. But we had many a fried chicken liver back in those days (they were cheap I think is the reason).
    Last edited by jfmorris; September 29, 2021, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I hear ya. Like a lot of things though, many times it was not prepared properly when we were kids. This is true for me with spouts. I used to hate them, now that I learned how to cook them, they are a staple in my kitchen.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Now I don’t need to comment. My exact same story! Grandma’s beef liver and our (brother and sister) gagging. She only cooked it when my folks were out. Yuck!!!

I prefer meat that comes on a bone. The classic Fired Liver and Onions, or Bacon, or both.
    When I eat liver it is in the form of Liverwurst. Not sure if this counts.
    Today they call it Braunschweiger.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; September 29, 2021, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I would say it counts. How do you make it?

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      Traditionally, Braunschweiger is smoked Liverwurst -- but the terms get used interchangeably these days.

Not really something you make at home unless you are really into sausage making. Typically, buy it and put it on a sandwich.

I find onions mandatory when its pan fried. Bacon or bacon grease is a welcome option. I'm not sure what function flour is supposed to serve, but it's a very common ingredient in liver and onions.

Oh yeah: Some soak it in milk for a while before cooking, though we have never bothered with this. I suppose it makes it taste a little milder.
    Last edited by Murdy; September 29, 2021, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Spinaker I ate my share of beef liver and some organ meat growing up. Liver was always fried and the organ meat was in the form of Scrapple aka Pon Haus at our house. I will add a link to an old thread. My modified recipe is actually pretty good. PM me for an organ meat version of the Pon Haus.

Scrapple is mostly a mid-Atlantic item generally pan fried and eaten for breakfast. It is reputedly anything-but-the-squeal pork, corn meal, and I have no idea what else. It's not a

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Sweet! Thanks Skip!

In college I called my Grandma and asked her how to make liver and onions:
      1. Fry a pound of bacon, put the bacon aside and keep the fat in the pan
      2. Lightly flour the liver, then fry liver and onions in the bacon fat.

Her recipe had me at step 1. I always eat the bacon with the liver.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Now that I can do. Thanks for the input!

Do not forget there is venison liver, delish!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Guess I need to shoot a deer this fall. I will eat the heart too. Get all Dances with Wolves on that SOB.

• Starsky
        Starsky commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess you are the guys to ask this. My son got a deer and I took the heart and liver. I thought the heart was really good. The liver was tasty but It had a different texture than beef liver. Almost fibrous. It looked normal and I didn't die or anything from eating it. Is the texture normally all that different from beef liver?

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Starsky , yup it’s different mostly cuz of what they eat & they are a deer.

More power to you. I generally don't eat organ meat, especially the liver. It's a filter. So many other options available to get your nutrients. Again, more power to you.

Comment

With some fava beans and a nice chianti?

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Great movie, okay recipe. LOL

Ask Steve Rinella, he did Bison liver (raw) dipped in Bison bile (also raw).

Maybe start with Moose liver from some little dink you shot.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          No, we did see quite a few. I found a huge shed too. But we were fishing. I only had my Glock .45 for the bears. I did not have a Moose tag. @Backroadsmeats

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker ahh I thought I was gonna get to make some moose sausage!! Did ya get some salmon??

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh we caught a ton of salmon. Didn’t bring any back though! 😬

Got to agree with everyone else. Pan fried with a light flour and the onions and gravy are a must! Oh and please do not forget the homemade buttermilk biscuits!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh wow. Biscuits are always a good call, David.

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
        I am looking to eat more and more organ meats.

A phrase I never thought I would hear/read....

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha, good stuff man and they are cheap! You other folks will come around someday.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here