Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best beef cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri tip when we can find it.

Comment

I chose ribeye of the choices, feel it’s versatile, as are the other cuts you list.

but, I really like flat iron, flank, skirt, tri tip - and usually cook these over ribeye majority of the time.

and last - it’s beef…it’s what’s for dinner (in my best Sam Elliott impersonation).

Comment

Couldn't believe no one mentioned flank until post 17. Wow.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Flank is my second choice after strip steak.

• Sid P
          Sid P commented
          Editing a comment
          I loved flank a few years ago when it was $4/lb. These days it’s more like $10/lb around here, and more at my favorite butcher.

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed, price of flank has gotten out of hand.

My favorite steak is the one I cooked and am eating at the time.

Comment

I love a good thick porterhouse, very rarely come across a good one these days, but when I do... I buy it. 2 steaks in one!

Comment

I agree it depends on the day. Right now I have a tri rip happily smoking on the pooper, so that is today's favorite. Last week was chuck ribs, and they were great, so they were my favorite. Next time I do ribeye, it will jump to the top of the list. Haven't done a chuckie in awhile, but when I do, it will be a favorite again.

Comment

For me it's gotta be tri-tip and plate ribs. I'll be trying my first picanha sometime next week. High hopes for that one.

Comment

I chose Ribeye but a very close second is the Picanha for me. The Ribeye is best overall when evaluating taste, tenderness and texture but the Picanha it tops when it comes to taste in my opinion.

Comment

All of the above.
                Depends on my mood and what I’m trying to achieve. I love a good ribeye…but cooked up a couple prime NY strips a couple weeks ago that were outstanding. Cooked up a tri-tip for my parents recently that was also excellent. Don’t generally use either for fajitas on the flattop… So yeah, no clear fave. LOL

Comment

I voted for other because for the past several months our go to has been the flat iron

Comment

I love all steaks. A high quality steak cooked perfectly is my favorite. My top Five:

Tri-Tip
                    Strip
                    Bavette/Steak Tips
                    Porterhouse
                    Skirt

Comment

Tritip for me!

Comment

As Bkhuna stated, the ribeye cap. My next would be the Tri-tip. Surprised nobody picked the Filet Mignon. Easy to grill and big beefy flavor.
                        Last edited by TripleB; September 26, 2021, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pkadare View Post
                          Plate ribs.
                          Yes and yes - even great at select quality.

Comment

Ribeye Cap. This was the cap off of a whole 7 bone primal prime grade rib.Click image for larger version  Name:	Image 12-22-19 at 7.34 AM (3).jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.6 KB ID:	1100936
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by wrgilb; September 26, 2021, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here