Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best beef cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best beef cut

Inquiring minds want to know:

I’m sure you all have experienced this at some point in your grilling life. Everyone has a preferred cut of beef and of course a different version of "doneness". I just had that experience, I’ve determined that ribeye is the most bullet-proof. It can handle Mosca ‘s "just keep flipping" technique and of course over direct heat it melts the fat just right. So for me, ribeye is king.

What’s your favorite cut?
    Ribeye
    47.50%
    Strip steak
    18.75%
    Filet
    6.25%
    Hanger steak
    3.75%
    T-bone
    1.25%
    Porterhouse
    6.25%
    Other(answer below)
    16.25%

Selected the ribeye. Tough call, considered a chuck and almost did a write in for a tri-tip.
    Last edited by DavidNorcross; September 24, 2021, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Tri tip is great. It's like a giant steak.

Picked ribeye.

But would like to try Snake River Farms wagyu to see if it is worth it.

Comment

• tmaan235
      tmaan235 commented
      Editing a comment
      I had wagyu last summer. It came by me from a friends father who was gifted 2 ny strips and his father gave them to him. Did standard grilling, hi fire to render fat and give a good sear. The taste and the texture were incredibile!!! No knife needed!
      At $90 a steak, was it worth it?
      Not to me or my friend, that's awful spendy for the next level.
      Outstanding taste, flavor and texture buuuuut...
      We can spend $25 to $29 for a 2" thick ribeye or strip from a good butcher and they are awful nice too

Can’t answer. Have 3 favorite cuts that I love and my decision would depend on the day/situation. They are:

Ribeye
    Skirt
    Hanger

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Like Weird Al said, just eat it.

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      STEbbq eat it like a steak! Hanger steak and fries make a damn fine meal. It’s got a beefy enough flavor to hold up to sauces if desired. If I do a sauce, I like a good chimichurri with hanger steak.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it. I will see if my favorite Mexican place has it.

Short plate beef ribs if the list can include non-steak cuts. If limited to steaks, it’s ribeye for me.

Comment

Flat iron is good.

Comment

Strip steak all the way.

Comment

Plate ribs.

Comment

In my experience, for the way I cook, there is no "best." I follow the cook. If I see a nice piece of meat at the store or butcher, I'll tailor the cook around that, whatever the method, etc. For a planned cook, that's a bit different, and I'll choose accordingly. Even then, if I see a cool piece of meat that will fit the mores of the menu, I have no problem switching and doing any necessary adjustments. Use what you have instead of lamenting on what you wish to have, I guess.

On the rare occasions that a specific steak dish, or craving needs attention, I like thick cut ribeye first, then striploin, then tenderloin, in that order. Dry aged is a plus.

Comment

Ribeye. I turn my nose up at other cuts. I have a big nose so it really means something when I turn it up.

Comment

I voted other. My favorite is probably bavette. Tri tip, flank, and skirt would also be top choices. I’m not too picky though. When shopping for steaks I usually just pick whatever looks best that day.

Comment

• Sid P
                  Sid P commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Opens new tab to learn about bavette…

• Red Man
                  Red Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sid P Despite what the top google results show, bavette is not flank steak. It’s sirloin flap meat.

• Old Glory
                  Old Glory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bavette is in my top 5 easily. Steak tip meat.

On any particular day it differs, kind of a mood swing thing. The picanha gets more mood than others.

Comment

I voted strip. But tomorrow it could just as easily be ribeye and skirt is always good too.

Comment

The ribeye cap for grilling.

Comment

• TripleB
                      TripleB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Amen brother. If I don't buy the cap by itself, I pick out a ribeye from the short end with a big cap and a bit of the chuck.

Short/plate ribs. Depending on how they are cut I might cook differently.

For a direct steak cook, bavette is my favorite.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here