Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Day before cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day before cook?

So I am planning on taking the smoker out next weekend for a little fall fiesta I am having at my house. However, I have a predicament. While, I would love to sit by the smoker all day with the boys and some beers, this is the type of party where I may have some real hosting obligations including chasing around kids and hanging with some folks I haven't seen in a while. I took the day before the party off in hopes that I can do the smoking then. I know there are some do's and don'ts on this topic and I apologize if it has been discussed before. I tried searching for a good explanation in the forum but gave up after a while. My question is: Can I cook a brisket 1 day before I serve it and still maintain quality flavor and texture? I have rarely had the chance to do a full 10+ hour cook and doing it the day before my party would really allow me to get it done the right way and give it my full attention without having to start at 2-3 am which could have me exhausted by the time my company gets here (credit to those who can do that) Where I am from, I wonder what my neighbors would think if they saw smoke coming out of my back yard at 2-3 am. We'll find out another day. My go-to is normally ribs because of the lesser cook time and being easier to manage for me while having company over but I would really like to change it up this time. I'd appreciate any feedback on this topic. I'd love to serve the brisket unless doing so 18 hours after I take it off the smoker is going to influence it in a bad way. Also, if it is okay to do this, I would love to be able to re-heat it in the smoker since it would be really nice to have my smoker going during the party but not have to give it so much attention. If that isn't a good idea how should I re-heat it? I plan on doing a pork butt as well but I am assuming pulled pork is a lot less sensitive to the re-heat. Thanks for your help

I have become a sous vide acolyte for this kind of cook. QVQ or SVQ are great ways to accomplish this with predictable timing and results.

I have not done a cook-the-day-before and reheat a brisket, but many have and will chime in shortly. Sounds like a nice party coming up!

Comment

• FrankC
      FrankC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

For the pork butt, overnight, 20hrs, plus rest.
    How to Smoke a Pork Butt (AKA Pork Shoulder) - YouTube
    For brisket overnight
    The Weekday Brisket - How to smoke a brisket during the week. From work! - YouTube
    Do both low and slow, same temp same timing.
    Note that is the Beauty of a Pellet Grill.

Happy grilling to you and PBR too

Comment

You sure can. I did one a couple months ago for a grad party where they wnated to eat at 4pm (I'm not getting up at 3am to cook straight through, sorry).

Here's a link to the "Wozniak Way" to cook today & serve tomorrow: https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...w-wozniak-way/

I did very similar to the link with a couple key differences- I cooked it at my typical low & slow temps (250ish), wrapped in paper at ~180, after the stall (my personal preference), and did the 1-2hr faux cambro hold phase after it hit 200ish. My other difference was after it was done I let it come down to room temp on the counter, then into the fridge (I did not bag it and ice-bath it). I did reheat it as described in the article, except I discarded the paper and wrapped it in foil for the reheat, then when it hit serving temp I undid the foil and let that top bark firm up for about 30 min or so still in the hot oven (or smoker, no difference at this point). I don't care about the bottom "bark", which in my case was the fat cap, it's on the cutting board in the juices anyway.

It was outstanding and I'd 100% do it again.

Comment

• FrankC
        FrankC commented
        Editing a comment
        Great. Ill check that out. Thank you!

What sort of smoker are you using?

Comment

• FrankC
        FrankC commented
        Editing a comment
        Lang 36

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm jealous

Never done brisket so I can’t help with that. Pulled pork I have done the day before a few times and it was great. Only advice I can give with that is to not shred until right before you want to serve it. You can reheat in your smoker; I have. I’ve also used my oven as well. I guess it depends on how big of a butt you’ve got and the type of smoker you have. The last butt I did I ended up doing it the same day I served it because it was small enough where I could do it.

Comment

• FrankC
        FrankC commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds good. Thank you!

Following to learn...

Comment

No problem with your plan. While many of us have gone the SV route for situations like this, but you can just cook ahead, wrap as airtight as you can, ice bath if you have a big enough bag, and then reheat and hold until ready to serve. My only caveat is to warn not to be tempted to slice and then reheat the slices. Keep it whole throughout the process and then slice when serving.

Comment

• FrankC
          FrankC commented
          Editing a comment
          Got it. Thank you!

I will have to try the "Wozniak Way." I have held a brisket in the oven at 170 (as low as mine will go) for many hours prior to going to a cooler for the rest the next morning. The brisket was wrapped in foil, and the result was good.

Comment

I've done a handful of briskets for reheat and eat this way. Smoke your brisket up to a week before and freeze it. To serve, take a long slicing knife and cut your slices by just using downward pressure on both ends of the knife and it will cut right through (no back and forth motion). Place slices in a large disposable aluminum roasting pan and add a little beef broth. Cover with aluminum foil and place in oven at 200-225 degrees for about 15 -20 minutes until warmed through then serve as usual.

Comment

I’m having my work team over on Saturday. Here is what I’m doing:

Thursday - I spatchcocked two chickens. They will brine for 24 hours in a 5% salt, 3% sugar brine.

Friday - noon- trim prime brisket. Smoke for 10- 12 hours. foil boat at 170* or so. Finish smoking. Rest brisket until 180* then into 160* oven. Will hold in oven until 6:00pm on Saturday. Yes, I’m resting the brisket for 18 hours.

Baked beans on with the brisket for 6 hours. Beans are cooked with bacon liquor - other stuff too but the bacon liquor is a game changer. Once done, will hold in fridge then reheat on Saturday before service.

chicken out of the brine after 24 hours, rinsed , dried and onto wire wracks for 24 hours in the fridge.

Saturday. around mid-morning, I will put pork belly burnt ends on smoker. Should be done in about 5 hours. Let cool for a bit once done and then into the oven with the brisket. I will finish on the smoker to glaze the burnt ends before service.

About the time the guests arrive at 6:00pm, chicken on the smoker for about an hour until breasts are 160*. Let rest while I slice the brisket while guest nibble on pork belly meat candy.

Not sure if this helps OP but it’s a plan. Wish me luck.

rob
            Last edited by Rob whatever; September 23, 2021, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• FrankC
              FrankC commented
              Editing a comment
              Thats a plan right there. Thanks for the help! Good luck

All of the ideas above very sound and diverse. I agree with the premise of not tending to a fire all night long and being expected to be the host of a party. I have tried that too many times. It ruins your fun.

Comment

Personally I would start it at bedtime the night before, with it getting done around noon or so the day of the event, and then you just hold it wrapped in foil in a warm oven or a cooler (faux cambro). I've held brisket for 6-7 hours that way before without problems. That said, I don't know what kind of smoker you have, and if it requires tending. I don't use my offset for overnight cooks anymore - but routinely do it for 8 to 12 hours unattended with my kettle or kamado.

Comment

• FrankC
                FrankC commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for giving me another reason to buy another cooker!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here