Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Yeah!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck Yeah!

So, I started smoking beef Chuck for the family and serving pulled beef sammies, salads, beef tacos, machaca . . . whatever works. All but my sometimes veggie, pasta princess daughter is on board and they love it. I basically run the same program as pork butt with a modified rub and I haven't had a failure yet. I dry brine as long as I have before cook, do a light coat of yellow mustard and coat it heavily with rub. I've been using the BBBR but found myself lacking needed spices the last few cooks so have modded up my own here and there. What I've come up with is a scrambled BBBR and Memphis Dust. It really has come out great each time and I don't know why I haven't been cooking more Chuck instead of the time and worry of cooking brisket.

So ya know - I cook on a PBC and I have been playing with letting it rip and walking away lately and results have been much better than the times I continue to fret and pull lid to over check temps. I am happy to leave the Chuck going unseen for a good 7 hours from start time no problem. As long as the fire is hot I don't lift.

But I tell you, Chuck something to get after if you haven't run it. So Chucking good!

Just some cents or two from someone who knows little but learns lots every burn.

I have no luck finding decent Brisket these parts and Chuck has become the substitute. Just like you, I is, has, are, am, also learning with every burn and agree Chuck is deserving of more recognition.
    We live fire grill Chuck Chops. They can be a tad tougher than some other beef cuts but really tasty.

Comment

And chuckies are great to grind up aswell..
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20210919_154542~2.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1097977 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210919_154237~2.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1097978
      Last edited by Elton's BBQ; September 21, 2021, 12:15 AM.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm curious how you got all that ground beef formed into a solid chuck roast. Great work!

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm using meatglue Steve R. 😆
        Last edited by Elton's BBQ; September 21, 2021, 07:50 AM.

PBC, PBC, PBC!

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        PBC, PBC, PBC! and now PBR !!!

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        BRB

I like the idea of letting it run. Fretting over and chasing temps is not fun.

Comment

This post is chucked up.

And I'm going to chuck myself soon, you don't need to tell me.

Comment

Love pulled chuck sandwiches! I am like others if I have a choice between a chuckie and a brisket, I really think I would pick the chuck.

Comment

We do chuck a pretty frequently. Never disappointed with it. It's so economical, since you can purchase it cut to smaller quantities, and there's less waste from trimming.

Comment

I love smoked and pulled chuck, but the main reason I don't do it in place of brisket is that at least here, chuck currently costs more than brisket on a per pound basis. Well, it always has. Even when I could get brisket for $2.99 a pound, chuck was $4.99 a pound. At current pricing at my local Sam's Club, Chuck is $6.98, and brisket is $4.88. I don't buy either at those prices... I got two briskets for $1.99 a pound back in June at Kroger, and still have a 17 pounder in the freezer, which I will probably pull out around Christmas.
              Last edited by jfmorris; September 21, 2021, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• jpietrantone
                jpietrantone commented
                Editing a comment
                That's the same here as well.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea but when you factor in loss of yield from all the trimming and moisture loss, the gap between the two narrows considerably. Plus a chuck roast is sooo much easier to handle and cook. I say hurray for chuck, go chuckie go !!!!!!!

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
              I love smoked and pulled chuck, but the main reason I don't do it in place of brisket is that at least here, chuck currently costs more than brisket on a per pound basis.
              Here too, but a) trim the brisket, weigh it, then calculate the per pound price again and b) I'm one person. If I'm not cooking for a group, brisket makes little sense. Sure, I could smoke one, divide it up, freeze etc... but meh.

Plus chuck doesn't take 12, 15 hours.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                I've thought of dividing up the next full packer I find at "normal" prices (under $3 per pound) into 2 or 3 chunks, and freezing it uncooked, for smoking smaller amounts at a time, versus only making it when I have 8 to 10 folks coming to dinner.

You are right in that I can put a chuck on at 8am, and have it done by 5pm for dinner. But I probably do the same thing if I go 300F all the way for a brisket.
                Last edited by jfmorris; September 21, 2021, 10:19 AM.

• rickgregory
                rickgregory commented
                Editing a comment
                I need to do something I've thought of for a while now and separate point and flat, make the flat into pastrami and smoke the point. Or maybe just buy a flat and smoke that and a chuckie. #lazy

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                rickgregory for whatever reason, the flats are several more bucks per pound than the full packers. I like the idea of separating it before freezing or cooking. I usually separate the point AFTER the cook as it is super easy at that time, and cube it up for burnt ends. I did that last time - we ate flat for lunch, I separated the point and made burnt ends on the kamado for dinner. And we ate leftover flat for several days in different dishes.

I'm in the same camp, I do probably 5-6 chuckies to every one brisket. Brisket's a lot of work, lot of trim loss and a lot of meat for our small group. I use it all up but it's something you almost have to plan. With chuck you cook it and it gets devoured almost immediately. I like both but for convenience and size, give me a good chuck roll roast any day !!!

Comment

Still haven’t tried a brisket yet. Costco has them for $5 lb for a prime packer. Did 2 chuckles for $30 from there instead and it was a huge hit. Need to do that soon.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  in today's market, that's a good price for prime packer.

The next chucky I cook will be rubbed with taco seasoning. Just sayin'.

Comment

Smoked chuck roast is probably my favorite, alternate between more traditional bbq rubs and Mexican rubs and cook em up to 207-8ish and hold there an hour. Planning to do one soon with only S&P for some chili too.

Comment

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Try only cooking the chuck to 155F for the chili, then chunk up in 1" squares ..... makes awesome chili

One of our favorite items to smoke is chuck roast. We have so many ways to eat it and never end up with leftovers. We get a plain cheese pizza from Papa Murphys, load it up with smoked chuckie and onions and whatever else we can find. YUM! Easy to cook too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here