Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Yeah!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    Try only cooking the chuck to 155F for the chili, then chunk up in 1" squares ..... makes awesome chili

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    in today's market, that's a good price for prime packer.

• Tax Man
    replied
    One of our favorite items to smoke is chuck roast. We have so many ways to eat it and never end up with leftovers. We get a plain cheese pizza from Papa Murphys, load it up with smoked chuckie and onions and whatever else we can find. YUM! Easy to cook too.

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    replied
    Smoked chuck roast is probably my favorite, alternate between more traditional bbq rubs and Mexican rubs and cook em up to 207-8ish and hold there an hour. Planning to do one soon with only S&P for some chili too.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    The next chucky I cook will be rubbed with taco seasoning. Just sayin'.

Leave a comment:

• radiodome21
    replied
    Still haven’t tried a brisket yet. Costco has them for $5 lb for a prime packer. Did 2 chuckles for $30 from there instead and it was a huge hit. Need to do that soon.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    I'm in the same camp, I do probably 5-6 chuckies to every one brisket. Brisket's a lot of work, lot of trim loss and a lot of meat for our small group. I use it all up but it's something you almost have to plan. With chuck you cook it and it gets devoured almost immediately. I like both but for convenience and size, give me a good chuck roll roast any day !!!

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Yea but when you factor in loss of yield from all the trimming and moisture loss, the gap between the two narrows considerably. Plus a chuck roast is sooo much easier to handle and cook. I say hurray for chuck, go chuckie go !!!!!!!

• jpietrantone
    commented on 's reply
    That's the same here as well.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    rickgregory for whatever reason, the flats are several more bucks per pound than the full packers. I like the idea of separating it before freezing or cooking. I usually separate the point AFTER the cook as it is super easy at that time, and cube it up for burnt ends. I did that last time - we ate flat for lunch, I separated the point and made burnt ends on the kamado for dinner. And we ate leftover flat for several days in different dishes.

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    I need to do something I've thought of for a while now and separate point and flat, make the flat into pastrami and smoke the point. Or maybe just buy a flat and smoke that and a chuckie. #lazy

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I've thought of dividing up the next full packer I find at "normal" prices (under $3 per pound) into 2 or 3 chunks, and freezing it uncooked, for smoking smaller amounts at a time, versus only making it when I have 8 to 10 folks coming to dinner.

You are right in that I can put a chuck on at 8am, and have it done by 5pm for dinner. But I probably do the same thing if I go 300F all the way for a brisket.
    Last edited by jfmorris; September 21, 2021, 10:19 AM.

• rickgregory
    replied
    Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
    I love smoked and pulled chuck, but the main reason I don't do it in place of brisket is that at least here, chuck currently costs more than brisket on a per pound basis.
    Here too, but a) trim the brisket, weigh it, then calculate the per pound price again and b) I'm one person. If I'm not cooking for a group, brisket makes little sense. Sure, I could smoke one, divide it up, freeze etc... but meh.

Plus chuck doesn't take 12, 15 hours.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    I love smoked and pulled chuck, but the main reason I don't do it in place of brisket is that at least here, chuck currently costs more than brisket on a per pound basis. Well, it always has. Even when I could get brisket for $2.99 a pound, chuck was $4.99 a pound. At current pricing at my local Sam's Club, Chuck is $6.98, and brisket is $4.88. I don't buy either at those prices... I got two briskets for $1.99 a pound back in June at Kroger, and still have a 17 pounder in the freezer, which I will probably pull out around Christmas.
    Last edited by jfmorris; September 21, 2021, 08:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Elton's BBQ
    commented on 's reply
    BRB

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here