Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resting meat at 200F?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resting meat at 200F?

Typically I try to do the FTC / Faux Cambro method for resting meat. However, my Memphis has this potentially-cool feature where I can stick its probe into my roasts & it will drop my cooker temp to 200F once the meat reaches temp. Okay, so I know temp isn't the ultimate guide to when a brisket or roast is done, but ... So, my question is whether 200F in the cooker (assuming the meat is wrapped, which it would be by then) is suitable for resting, or I need to take it off and put it in something cooler. Thanks for any thoughts! -- David

I would think that it would be fine as long as the meat is wrapped.

Comment

There's holding and then there is resting meat.
      Holding is trying to keep the meat i.e. brisket at, say 203 degrees, for one to two hours. Hence the towel wrap and cooler. This works the meat to additional tenderness without "overcooking"
      Resting doesn't require cooler towel wrap etc.

Comment

Leaving on at 200 is fine, i've done it in my oven several times when guests are unexpectedly late.

Comment

@Ernest--Thx. Yes, I should have said Holding. _John_ & Brisket Syndicate -- Thanks, that's reassuring!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here