Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas-Style BBQ Beef Short Rib Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas-Style BBQ Beef Short Rib Recipe

So I've read this recipe a few times over the last year http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/BBQ_beef_ribs.html
    and for some reason I never made it. I've decided to start the NFL season off with them and get the monkey off my back.

I had to buy two packs from two different grocery stores and have two totally different Choice cut of meats. That being said, the thickness ranges from 1"-1-1/2" thick along with random widths. The recipe states I'm looking at a 5-7 hour cook so I'll give my self 8+. Are we resting this as much as we would a Brisket, 1-2 hours? It sure feels like that would be the right thing to do.

Here are some photos from the Friday evening Brining, I'll keep you posted on how Sunday goes and look forward to any suggestions. GO CHARGERS!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung 09-12-15 1390.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	109452 Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung 09-12-15 1395.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	109453 Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung 09-12-15 1397.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	109454 Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung 09-12-15 1406.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	109455 Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung 09-12-15 1409.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	109456

Looks like it will be fit to eat! Enjoy the Game! Dan

Comment

• LowandSlow
      LowandSlow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Dan. I'm going to enjoy the RedZone channel, best invention since this website!

I was having trouble keeping the temps up with all the football on and couldn't get a lot of these too get passed 190 and over cooked them a bit. Here was a good one!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20150913_081731.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	109734 Click image for larger version

Name:	20150913_175839.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	109735 Click image for larger version

Name:	20150913_175915.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	109736
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks really good, did you end up resting them? Mine usually has a fat vein around the middle that doesn't quite render that prevents my wife from wanting to eat them.

Comment

I did let them rest for an hour. The end of the bone came off with the fat and it freaked my wife out...more for me!

Comment

LowandSlow FYI- brisket and those things are not done until they are over-done.

Looks great!!!

Comment

Thanks Jared. Thats what I was trying to tell my wife and kids. I should have kept the temp up, at one point I spaced out and my BBQ temp was 189, not good.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              I had that happen last Thursday night. Cooking a butt for work, things were running hot, didn't want it done too early, unplugged my Auber and went off to bed. Only to get up at 2AM with a pit running 160 and a butt sitting at 140. Fresh charcoal and I was on my way to a 400 pit temp and done butt by 0430.

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              My first venture into BBQ was a number of years ago when I had a simple horizontal oil drum grill which I had bought from a welding shop. I would cook steaks and burgers on it with a mixture of charcoal briquettes and deadfall mesquite and oak limbs. I always thought it was a waste to let that nice bed of coals just burn out. So, I bought a pork butt, seasoned it, and put it at one end of the grill with the coals at the other and closed the lid. The next morning the coals were pretty much burned out, and the butt was perfectly cooked. I did it many times since with pork butts and chickens with similar results.

I think Beef short ribs are highly underrated as BBQ eats. Those things are fantastic!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              They are, that is what chefsteps uses to make pastrami.
              Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 15, 2015, 01:41 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here