Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking at elevation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking at elevation question

So we're going up north for a few days and the MIL wants me to cook some supposedly super thick ribeyes. I haven't seen them. We're renting a cabin on a ranch and there is supposedly a gas grill there on site. No one can tell me anything about it so I'm going to assume it's a POS. So I'll be bringing my 26" Weber kettle and Fireboard/fan combo.

My go to for steaks is the reverse sear and SnS cold grate technique (usually sear on my gasser with GGs). I'm also bringing my SnS cast iron DnG in case the gasser at the cabin appears capable and clean. Usually takes me about 40 minutes start to finish when I'm at home. However, home has an elevation of 1100'. The cabin is at 8300'.

So my question is should I expect the cook to go differently due to the huge elevation change? Time less or more or anything else I may not even be aware of? The Fireboard will keep my cooker temps on point, so no worries there I would think.

You’ll need to push more volume of air at that lower density to keep the temps where you want. Even if you get to the temp you want, will take a little longer to cook since there’s less energy per unit air volume at the same temp.
    Last edited by Polarbear777; September 6, 2021, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I'll start the coals earlier than usual.

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Longer to cook I mean. May need to set at a higher temperature.

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotcha. Will still start extra early with more fuel to boot in anticipation that I may need to crank it up. Will try to compare IT to previous cooks.

I don't see why the cook would be slower, but maybe someone with experience will chime in. However, I expect that you will be much slower at that elevation due to less oxygen available...

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      No doubt my friend! Rum and vodka will also play a role as well.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      I recently took a short walk (like ¼ mile?) from the ATV parking area to Goose Lake outside Red River, NM - also about 11,000 feet. Holy cripes, nothing like a hike at elevation to remind you (again!) how out of shape you are!

Originally posted by Rod View Post
    No one can tell me anything about it so I'm going to assume it's a POS. So I'll be bringing my 26" Weber kettle and Fireboard/fan combo.
    I like how you are bringing just going ahead and bringing a big cooker. ;-)

Comment

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      MCS benefits!

When we lived in Colorado we lived at 7600'. Believe me, it takes longer so plan accordingly.

Comment

Polarbear777 Clark You guys were correct! I underestimated the amount of extra time. I started everything 20 minutes sooner than what I'm accustomed to. That was not nearly enough. It took about an hour to get to 225 cooker temp and another hour to get them ready for searing. Even searing took an extra flip. So basically I should have started at least an hour sooner and maybe targeted 250 cooker temp.

At the end of the day it all turned out fantastic. Instead of dinner at 6:30, it was at 7:30 and everyone (especially the MIL) were super impressed. I also learned a great deal having never cooked outside of my own backyard. Great confidence booster for cooking outside my element! Once again The Pit rules!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here