Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Injected Tallow into Brisket. Is it Worth It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injected Tallow into Brisket. Is it Worth It?

Jeremy Yoder (Mad Scientist BBQ) has been on this kick of late on his YouTube channel where he claims he's discovered Franklin's secret by applying smoked tallow to a brisket prior to wrapping in paper. Now he is experimenting with injecting it into his briskets. Although this is not new or novel in any way (we actually discussed doing this about 3 years ago but I can't seem to find the post), I remember trying it one time and it made such a mess that I never did it again. It was kind of off-putting to have all that fat as well. Maybe doing a little and adding over the top during cooking may work but I'm skeptical.

He also claims that the moisture feel within your mouth is actually due to the fat you are tasting. I would agree to a certain extent but there is a lot of actual moisture trapped in the protein structures. By injecting things like phosphates you actually capture that moisture with juiciness being the result. Comp pitmasters have been doing that for years.

At any rate I like Jeremy's channel but I think his whole fat thing may be a bit over the top. Has anyone else tried this? Again I didn't really like the result but maybe with a little experimentation it could be beneficial.

Last edited by Troutman; September 5, 2021, 11:40 AM.

Several others have been doing the tallow basting and think that it does make a noticeable difference, including Harry Soo. While I agree that injecting fat may lead to too much greasiness, a little extra fat DOES seem to help, and I agree with the 'mouth feel' statement - at least as it applies to many other foods, I haven't tried this with brisket, though it's on my list.

That reminds me, I need to order some more butcher paper...

Comment

I think you are right, it sounds over the top! Just reasoning on it & seeing countless shots of Franklin & staff there is no evidence of injecting. Franklin’s secret is much simpler as with other Masters of the Pit.

Comment

I think this would be more or less useful depending on the grade of brisket too. Got some lean ones or a flat you're worried about? Injecting or basting a judicious amount of fat may well help. Got a wagyu, prime or good choice brisket? You probably don't need it.

Fat is flavor (ok, it carries flavor.... ) but that doesn't mean more fat is always better. Like other things, it's getting the balance right.

Comment

After enough brisket I figured proper trimming, salting, and a good rub will do just fine. Like I tell people at the chicken plant, "quit playing with your food."
          People seem to want to give too many cuts of meat the meduim-rare judgement. Doesn't help when a full packer has two muscles which are as opposite as you could.

Then people on videos always slice the hot fatty section failing to reveal the dry stuff on the "flat only" end. Invariably a viewer thinks THE WHOLE BRISKET IS ULTRA FATTY AND JUICY and wants know to what happened to their flat.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Preach brother!!!!

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Keep it simple and don't overthink it.

• Strat50
            Strat50 commented
            Editing a comment
            I totally agree. Just cook the damn food, right? Been there, and it seems to be a fools errand, at least in my cooking at home and at work. Sometimes, I hate food TV....

I have never tried this before, but I would think, it it all be pushed back out when you are cooking.

I find that any injection makes a terrible mess and is not really worth the hassle. All those phosphate injections have alwasy tasted off to me, so I stopped adding those a long time ago. However, this is somewhat "natural" so I may be down to try this one again. I have done it before, but it was so long ago, I can not remember when.

I will have to give it a go on my next brisket cook. I do have a ton of Wagyu Tallow in jars, in my fridge.

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve sprayed juice across the kitchen a time or two injecting. Haven’t found it all that worthwhile in the past, but have thought about trying it again since it’s been a few years.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            So basically, it’s been long enough for both of us to forget about the pain of the stupid mess. 😂 glitchy

I think injecting would be more of a PITA than it's worth, but adding tallow at wrapping definitely does something. At least it seemed to on the last couple of chuckies I did. It's nothing major, but even for pulled beef it just seemed have a little extra juiciness and mouthfeel.

Comment

I have been planning on trying coating my butcher paper with tallow before wrapping next time I do brisket and maybe pouring a tiny amount on the top of the brisket before sealing it up. No interest yet on injecting tallow. I do see the potential in the soaked paper so that the paper isn’t wicking moisture from the meat.

Comment

I have injected oil into the flat of a brisket several times experimenting, didn't really seem to make a difference in a side by side.

Comment

Considering it has to be warmed to be liquid, injecting sounds like a mess to me.

Adding some in the braising/wrapped step, sure as long as it isn’t enough to disturb the bark.

Comment

This was an excellent video by Harry Soo on SRF wagyu and while I was sold on SRF Wagyu, I wasn't sold on injecting anything really.

Comment

• rickgregory
                    rickgregory commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There is no way in HELL I'm injecting a wagyu brisket with anything.

I’ve smoked many a brisket. Always Prime packers. Never had one dry out, so naturally I’ve never felt the need to inject.

Comment

Is wagyu tallow softer than normal tallow? Because wagyu tallow is the current trend. I make tallow a lot, but I store it in the fridge and there is no way I would feel comfortable getting it liquid enough to inject into cold meat.

Comment

When I wrap a brisket in butcher paper the result is greasy butcher paper. Why would adding more fat help? I cook CAB choice briskets. I can’t imagine how greasy a prime or wagyu could be.

Comment

Yoder is infatuated with Franklin’s brisket. Why would Prime briskets need extra fat. I liked Yoder when he was just a salt and pepper guy.
                        Back in the 60’s and 70 my father and grandfather used seasoned Crisco as a baste for beef, pork and fowl. But they were dealing with select cuts.

Comment

• Troutman
                          Troutman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I agree on Prime and Wagyu. If you listen to his intro he also agrees and uses choice briskets as his go by. I don't think anyone would agree to inject fat into a fatty brisket. It's stupid and a waste of time.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here