Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st time pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried bringing my own, and while it was good, with the additional hassle, time, space, etc., I've had very good results just buying corned beef points and turning them into pastrami. I dunno if it's 90% of the result, but it's darned close and it's way under 1/4 of the work/effort/hassle.

Matter of fact, have one in the fridge now all rubbed down and ready to throw on the smoker. Soon as my pork butts get wrapped, I think I'll throw it on. Or maybe do it tomorrow.

Comment

• kizeroy
      kizeroy commented
      Editing a comment
      I can see myself doing them that way as well later on. It certainly would cut down on the time required and space needed in the fridge! It will be interesting as well to compare the end results to see if I can tell any difference.

This is still my favorite recipe on the site. It just can't be beat. The flavor is out of this world good. And when you cure it yourself, it is just that much better!

Comment

Has anyone here made pastrami from the "navel" or Plate cut? I gather it is fattier. I find the smoked fat is what give Pastrami that extra vavoom. Some delis offer both "lean" and "regular" and I always go for the lean.

Comment

Originally posted by tRidiot View Post
        I tried bringing my own, and while it was good, with the additional hassle, time, space, etc., I've had very good results just buying corned beef points and turning them into pastrami. <snip>

Matter of fact, have one in the fridge now all rubbed down and ready to throw on the smoker. Soon as my pork butts get wrapped, I think I'll throw it on. Or maybe do it tomorrow.
        I have had such incredible results with the store corned beef method I will be a long time, if ever, till I try brining my own. And you just can't beat the prices in early March! I think I have 4 or 5 in the freezer left.

Comment

Originally posted by RolfTaylor View Post
          How on earth did you make it last a week!
          I made 3 pieces last time and it barely lasted a week! I did stash some bits in the freezer and have made myself hash for breakfast a few times. If you don't mind a high ratio of skin to potato those mini potatoes are perfect for making hash. You thrown them in the microwave for about 5 minutes. Then squeeze out the insides and fry them up and viola. Fastest hash in the east!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here